We are going through an unprecedented time at Red River College. Many of us have been asked to work or study from home, and aren’t participating in our usual activities. When our usual routine is disrupted, it can have an effect on both our physical and mental health.
Below you will find some resources to help maintain physical and mental wellness during a time of social distancing. Whenever possible, the following resources are free to either Red River College staff and students (look for the ^), or free for t0 general public (look for the *). For additional information, continue to check www.rrc.ca for updates.
Fitness and Physical Health Options
RRC Recreation Services ^
- Check for updates on the Rebels microsite as well as social media channels
- Monthly fitness challenges – challenge your friends to see how many you can accomplish at home!
Several are free, but check to ensure before you download. Some examples include:
- Tone It Up (Apple and Google Play)
- Down Dog Yoga (Apple and Google Play)
- BodySpace – this includes an online community component
- 7 Minute Workout: Fitness App (Apple and Google Play)
Follow your favourite fitness professional on social media, or check out a new community to share your progress.
Many fitness facilities and companies are live streaming classes or providing online content. Check your local yoga studio, gym or other fitness facility to see if they are hosting anything. Alternatively, check out one of the options below.
- Planet Fitness – Facebook
- Host your own! Use a video chat or meeting service to join your friends in a virtual group workout.
Please note that these options may involve fees.
Mental Health and Wellness Options
Mindfulness & Meditation
- MindWell-U 30 Day Mindfulness Challenge ^
- MindWell-U Virtual Drop-in Mindfulness Class ^
- Calm In The Storm Website and App* (the “Relief” section)
- ADAM* audio guided relaxation
- Get outside and observe nature
- Clear the Deck exercise to calm worry*
- Have a cup of tea
- Enjoy a warm bath or shower
- Schedule an informal coffee break on WebEx. Grab your beverage and just chat about whatever you feel like.
- Send voice messages or hold video calls with friends and family
- Virtual friends/family meals
- Proactive #COVIDkindness, while keeping physical distance
- Send thank you notes
- If children are home from school, consider creating a daily schedule
- Stream an Opera performance*
- Virtually tour a museum*
- Cook or bake
- Doodle or colour*
- Put on some music or play an instrument
- Journal your thoughts
Remember, taking care of your wellness will help sustain you through this challenging time. Be sure to make your well-being a priority.