You can import CSV files into Respondus, but please keep in mind that it does not support the import of Excel “.xls”/”.xlsx” file formats.
In order to make Respondus work with CSV files, you need to create CSV document in a specific format so that Respondus can accept it and create a quiz.
Please note that CSV only supports the five common question types:
MC = Multiple Choice
TF = True or False
MR = Multiple Response (Multi-Select)
FB = Fill in the Blank (Short Answer)
ES = Essay (Long Answer)
You will need to use the Respondus Standard Format for importing the other supported question types.
Importing the CSV File Into Respondus
- In Excel, save the .CSV file and then close file in excel.
- Open Respondus
- Click “Import Questions”
- Change the “Type of file” to “Tab/Comma Deliminated” and then click “Browse”
- Select the file and click Open.
- Next, leave all the default settings and click “Preview” (this is where you may get an error if you haven’t closed the file in excel) *optionally you can indicate it should skip the first row. In your CSV that row is not actually questions. If you don’t do this step you will simply get a warning later.
- Click OK if everything is looking good.
- Next you have to name it, click Preview again, and then Finish. *make sure to review the warnings and notes. In the example below, all of the warnings are from not telling it to skip rows up on step #6.
- Confirm everything looks good in Repsondus, and you’re good to go!