The Professional Photography Program at Red River College is located at our Notre Dame Campus. We provide training in the technical, creative and business skills of photography in our digital lab and photography studio.
During this eight month program you will explore various photography styles, lighting and the latest in digital technology. The practical skills you will learn include: digital image manipulation, lighting, DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera operation, exposure, composition, printing, editing, retouching and processing. You will have many opportunities to apply these skills at photo shoots, field trips and on-site assignments.
And, to prepare you for your career as a professional photographer, you will create your personal brand, including a portfolio, marketing materials, business cards, and an authentic social media presence.
If you’re ready to sharpen your creative edge and technical skills, this program is for you.
What You’ll Learn
The program blends creative theory, technical language and practical experience through the use of state-of-the-art hardware and software. Courses are focused on a variety of techniques including image capture and processing as well as entrepreneurial skills so that you can successfully enter the professional field of photography.
You will develop skills in the following areas:
- DSLR camera operation
- Composition, lighting, exposure, printing
- Portrait, fine art and commercial photography
- Digital image manipulation, retouching, processing and editing
You learn key business skills:
- Create a business name, logo and business card
- Price your work
- Create your website
- Establish a professional social media presence
- Produce a professional portfolio
- Manage a photography project
- Market your business
- Professional Photographers of Canada
- Professional Photographers of Canada – Manitoba Chapter
- Manitoba Camera Club