Research Ethics Board (REB)
Research Ethics Board Membership
|Kim M. Mitchell||Instructor and Coordinator Research, Scholarship, and Quality Improvement, Nursing||Interim-Chair|
|Michael Krywy||Manager, Institutional Analysis & Planning||Interim-Member|
|Donna Wilson||Manager, Adult Learning Centre||Member|
|Heather Krepski||Community Member||Community Member|
|Brandon Sabourin||Instructional Designer, Centre for Learning and Program Excellence||Member – Vice Chair (in event of Chair conflict)|
|Kerry Macdonald||Director, Library Services||Member|
|Andrea D. Winther Klippenstein||Instructor, Early Childhood Education||Member|
|Lindsay Mullholland||Instructor, Business Administration||Member|
|Erin Clarke||REB Administration Assistant||Member|
(Please read carefully as many processes have changed for the 2020-2021 academic year)
- A new application form has been created for submissions to the REB as of September 28, 2020. We will no longer accept applications completed on the old REB forms.
New Application Form
Watch the video orientation to the new application form here: https://etv.academic.rrc.ca/Mediasite/Play/1c8e72b19c74484187455aeb934711501d
- If you plan to conduct research that involves surveying, interviewing, or gathering data from any human subject (including students and colleagues), a REB Application submission is required.
- All submissions to the Red River College Research Ethics Board will be submitted electronically to email@example.com
- For assistance with the application process or questions as to how research ethics need to be applied to your project, please email Kim Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Red River College REB follows the ethical guidelines governing research involving human subjects as outlined in the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans TCPS-2 (2018) https://ethics.gc.ca/eng/policy-politique_tcps2-eptc2_2018.html
- All submissions to the REB received after October 1, 2020, will require the researcher(s) listed as principle investigator (PI) or co-PI, including student researchers (if listed as PI), to submit proof of completion of the TCPS 2: CORE Tutorial which introduces the researcher to the principles of the Tri-Council Policy statement https://tcps2core.ca/welcome
a. Protocols will not be reviewed without proof of completion of the TCPS-2 CORE tutorial.
b. Researchers will need to create an account in the CORE tutorial system, Red River College is listed in the dropdown menu of options.
c. The tutorial takes on average 3 hours to complete depending on how many activities you explore within the system. The tutorial will walk researchers through the core principles of the Tri Council Policy Statement.
d. Completion of the tutorial will provide you with a PDF certificate to save for your records. The tutorial only needs to be completed once and has no expiry. If you have completed the tutorial since it began in 2011, your certificate will be accepted.
- You may submit your application at any time. For the 2020-2021 academic year, all new protocols, regardless of risk level, will be reviewed by the entire REB Board on the announced scheduled meeting dates. The deadlines for submission are listed below and will be strictly adhered to. If a deadline is missed, the protocol will be reviewed at the next scheduled meeting. This practice is to give our very busy committee members enough time to give all protocols sufficient attention prior to the scheduled meeting dates.
Monthly Meeting Dates, 2020/2021
|Meeting Date||Submission Deadline to be reviewed at this meeting date|
|Wednesday, October 21, 2020||Monday October 12, 2020 0800|
|Wednesday, November 18, 2020||Monday November 9, 2020 0800|
|Wednesday, December 16, 2020||Monday December 7, 2020 0800|
|Wednesday, January 20, 2021||Monday January 11, 2021 0800|
|Wednesday, February 17, 2021||Monday February 8, 2021 0800|
|Wednesday, March 17, 2021||Monday March 8, 2021 0800|
|Wednesday, April 21, 2021||Monday April 12, 2021 0800|
|Wednesday, May 19, 2021||Monday May 10, 2021 0800|
|Wednesday, June 16, 2021||Monday June 7, 2021 0800|
|July and August 2021 – As needed||Depending on circumstances, a protocol may not be reviewed until the September 2021 meeting or chair and delegated processes will be used.|
- Protocols that have been pre-approved by Research Ethics Boards at another Canadian post-secondary institution and follow TCPS policies, can submit their approved forms and approval certificates from the original institution of approval. Submissions pre-approved must also complete the Addendum for Pre-Approved Protocols.
- The REB policy is being revised over the 2020-2021https://www.rrc.ca/numbers/files/2020/09/RRCREB-Addendum-for-Pre-Approved-Protocols.docx academic year. The current policy can be viewed at /legal/policies/research-involving-human-subjects/