Research Ethics Board (REB)
Research Ethics Board Membership
|Kim M. Mitchell||Instructor and Coordinator Research, Scholarship, and Quality Improvement, Nursing||Chair|
|Heather Krepski||Community Member||Community Member|
|Brandon Sabourin||Instructional Designer, Centre for Learning and Program Excellence||Member – Vice Chair (in event of Chair conflict)|
|Kerry Macdonald||Director, Library Services||Member|
|Andrea D. Winther Klippenstein||Instructor, Early Childhood Education||Member|
|Lindsay Mullholland||Instructor, Business Administration||Member|
|Simon Potter||Director, Research Partnerships and Innovation||Ex Officio|
|Erin Clarke||REB Administration Assistant||Member|
- If you are new to research or applying for research ethics, please read the following guide to Responsible and Ethical Conduct of College Research which can be accessed at the following link: https://eduq.info/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11515/38011/Responsible-Ethical-Conduct-College-Research-guide-2021.pdf?sequence=2
This guide will help you to identify what kind of projects require ethical approval as well as briefly describe some of the ethical principles to be considered when applying for research ethics within an applied college. We strongly encourage our research community, if this is your first time applying for research ethics, to contact the chair of the research ethics board to discuss the possible ethical implications of your project (email@example.com).
- A new application form has been created for submissions to the REB as of September 28, 2020. We will no longer accept applications completed on the old REB forms.
New Application Form
Watch the video orientation to the new application form here: https://web.microsoftstream.com/video/2aaa791e-3264-4615-b5b7-85e9130bf2bb
- If you plan to conduct research that involves surveying, interviewing, or gathering data from any human subject (including students and colleagues), a REB Application submission is required.
- All submissions to the Red River College Polytechnic Research Ethics Board will be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For assistance with the application process or questions as to how research ethics need to be applied to your project, please email Kim Mitchell email@example.com
- The Red River College Polytechnic REB follows the ethical guidelines governing research involving human subjects as outlined in the Tri-Council Policy
- All submissions to the REB require the researcher(s) listed as principle investigator (PI) or co-PI, including student researchers (if listed as PI), to submit proof of completion of the TCPS 2: CORE Tutorial which introduces the researcher to the principles of the Tri-Council Policy statement https://tcps2core.ca/welcome
a. Protocols will not be reviewed without proof of completion of the TCPS-2 CORE tutorial.
b. Researchers will need to create an account in the CORE tutorial system, Red River College Polytechnic is listed in the dropdown menu of options.
c. The tutorial takes on average 3 hours to complete depending on how many activities you explore within the system. The tutorial will walk researchers through the core principles of the Tri Council Policy Statement.
d. Completion of the tutorial will provide you with a PDF certificate to save for your records. The tutorial only needs to be completed once and has no expiry. If you have completed the tutorial since it began in 2011, your certificate will be accepted.
- NEW Required process for Course-based research. If you are an instructor who has developed an assignment where students are interviewing or surveying human subjects for research purposes, please complete the new Course-Based Research Application Form.
- You may submit your application at any time. Beginning in June 2021, minimal-risk protocols may be reviewed using delegated processes. High Risk Protocols will be reviewed at the announced RRC Polytech-REB Meetings below with the stated submission deadlines.
Monthly Meeting Dates, 2021/2022
|Meeting Date||Submission Deadline for high-risk protocols to be reviewed at this meeting date (minimal risk protocols can be submitted at any time and will be reviewed within approximately 2 weeks)|
|Wednesday, October 20, 2021||Wednesday, October 6, 2021|
|Wednesday, November 17, 2021||Wednesday, November 3, 2021|
|Wednesday, December 15, 2021||Wednesday December 1, 2021|
|Wednesday, January 19, 2022||Wednesday, January 5, 2022|
|Wednesday, February 16, 2022||Wednesday, February 2, 2022|
|Wednesday, March 16, 2022||Wednesday, March 2, 2022|
|Wednesday, April 20, 2022||Wednesday, April 6, 2022|
|Wednesday, May 18, 2022||Wednesday, May 4, 2022|
|Wednesday, June 15, 2022||Wednesday, June 1, 2022|
- Protocols that have been pre-approved by Research Ethics Boards at another Canadian post-secondary institution and follow TCPS policies, can submit their approved forms and approval certificates from the original institution of approval. Submissions pre-approved must also complete the Addendum for Pre-Approved Protocols.
- The REB policy is being revised. The current policy can be viewed at /legal/policies/research-involving-human-subjects/