I was just reading an article by Dr. George Siemens, an alum of RRC, and he lists five elements that he includes in a framework for educational technology. I think these are interesting to reflect on as we consider educational technology’s future at RRC.
- “Does the technology foster creativity and personal expression?
- Does the technology develop the learner and contribute to her formation as a person?
- Is the technology fun and engaging?
- Does the technology have the human teacher and/or peer learners at the centre?
- Does the technology consider the whole learner?”
Do we consider our learners to be parts of an educational machine, or are we empowering them in a human learning centered way? Is technology in education about people or about simply using technology? Should we, as George suggests, be working towards “creat[ing] tools, technologies, and pedagogies that enable creation, personal formation, engagement, fun, and joy”?