Hospitality and Culinary Arts Co-op Education
Co-operative education plays an integral role in Red River College’s mission of providing high-quality educational training opportunities.
A co-operative education program integrates a student’s academic studies with work experience in a related field.
Hospitality, Tourism, Culinary Arts and Professional Baking students have alternating periods of academic experience and paid work experience to enhance their educations and contribute to industry partners.
Benefits of Co-operative Education Partnerships
- Hiring trained, motivated and enthusiastic talent that is passionate about industry
- Cost-effective, low-risk recruitment strategy
- College aids in vetting process
- Fill in short-term needs — seasonal, special projects, research, etc.
- Eligible for Manitoba provincial tax credit of up to $5,000
Participating in Co-operative Education
- Employer/College/student partnership
- Terms integrate academic learning with related, paid work experience
- 16-week work terms and minimum of 400 hours (note that this is the ideal situation, however due to the effects of pandemic on your business, co-op work terms can be more flexible to suit your business needs and student schedules)
- Employers commit to professional and personal growth of future industry leaders
- Employer provides supervision, mentorship and feedback to student
- Employer provides job description outlining expectations of student
- Hours are scheduled to suit employer needs
- Employers participate in a mid-term site visit with the student and College
- Employer provides evaluations of student performance for final assessment
- Co-op coordinator available to support student and employer throughout the process
Students will be placed throughout the year based on their learning schedules and employer needs. Co-op work terms can be extended for up to 12 months.
About the Programs
Hospitality and Tourism Management
Professional Baking and Pastry
Get in Touch
Register today to become a recognized Red River College co-op partner.
Hospitality and Tourism Management and Hotel and Restaurant Management students may be eligible for industry projects or volunteering opportunities. Please let us know about any opportunities your organization may have.