English Skills Assessment

Many Red River College programs require that you take an English Skills Assessment as part of your application.

There are two types of English Skills Assessments possible. One is called the Degrees of Reading Power or the DRP; the other is called the CanTEST.

Please review the considerations below to choose the best assessment for you.

NOTE: If you have written an English Skills Assessment in the past, please contact the applicable testing centre below to ensure your score is currently valid and at the required level for program of interest.

Who should write the DRP?

If you:

  • were born in Canada, or
  • came to Canada at age 12 or younger, or
  • consider English your primary language. (Your primary language is the one you know best and are most comfortable with and use every day when listening, speaking, reading and writing.)

If this sounds like your language background, please register for the Degrees of Reading Power.

Who should write the CanTEST?

If you:

  • came to Canada at age 13 or older, or
  • graduated in Manitoba with “E” designated high school credits (Please note RRC programs do not accept “E” designations for high school credits listed in the admission requirements), or
  • English is not the language you feel most comfortable using.

If this sounds like your language background, please consider registering for the CanTEST.

For Degrees of Reading Power, call Assessment Services at 204.632.2458.

For CanTEST, call the Language Training Centre at 204.945.6151 and then press 2.