Every June, Red River College employees green their commute during the Commuter Challenge, a week-long, friendly competition between Canadian cities and workplaces. People are challenged to carpool, bus, walk or bike to work, and workplaces and individuals track their commutes to compete.
We are proud to say that every year since 2015, RRC has won Gold for the highest participation in our workplace category! Since then, in total, RRC staff that have participated in the Commuter Challenge have:
- Traveled 61,885.4 km by sustainable transportation
- Burned 649,658.8 calories
- Saved 4,437.4 litres of fuel
- Avoided 9,349.7 kg of CO2 emissions
Commuting sustainably reduces GHG emissions, provides health benefits and leaves you feeling more energized for work. No matter which mode of green commute you pick, it brings you closer to your community and the environment.
There are always great prizes and fun events where you can meet other sustainable commuters. Watch for Commuter Challenge news in our blog, All Staff News and our social media every May/June.
Sustainable Commuting Resources
- Carpool, busing, or walking buddies with GoManitoba
- Free bike lockers at NDC, in the bike room at PGI, or at bike racks located conveniently at most campuses (RRC Biking Microsite)
- Discounted student or staff bus passes
- “Top of the lot” parking for carpooling students at NDC