Equity, Diversity and Inclusion on Campus

16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence

November 30, 2023

The following message contains content related to gender-based violence, and may cause strong emotions to arise, especially for those with lived experience. It is recommended that you read the message when you feel safe and supported. Resources are available to support those in need, including REES (Respect Educate Empower Survivors), a community for survivors, 24-7 Crisis Line, and additional support services for those affected by gender-based violence. If you are in an emergency situation, please call 9-1-1.

The United Nations’ campaign, 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence, is a global movement that calls for the end to violence against women, women-identifying persons, and girls. November 25, International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, marks the start of the #16Days, which run through to Human Rights Day on December 10.

Through grassroots organizations and movements, including #MeToo, there’s been global traction to prevent and address the critical human rights issue of gender-based violence. Leading up to International Human Rights Day on December 10, it’s important to recognize that this issue is extremely relevant right now, globally and at home.

As reported by the UN, gender-based violence affects 1 in 3 women, with risks increasing during humanitarian emergencies or when women lack access to essential rights such as education and healthcare.

Moreover, while violence affects women worldwide, certain groups such as women with disabilities, adolescent girls and older women, often face greater barriers in having their voices heard or accessing critical support.

What can you do to raise awareness about and help eliminate gender-based violence?

Aligning with the Government of Canda’s theme for 2023, Listen. Learn. Act., there are several steps you can take:

• Learn more about gender-based violence
  • Watch a related movie, video or documentary from the National Film Board of Canada
  • 16 ways you can help end gender-based violence
  • Become an ally by adopting these simple but powerful actions all year long:
    • Listen: be open to learning from the experiences of others
    • Believe: support survivors and those affected by violence. It is very important that you say the words ‘’I believe you’’ and ‘’This is not your fault’’
    • Educate (yourself and others): learn the facts about GBV; know what your workplace policies say about violence and harassment; take a course; participate in an event
    • Speak out: add your voice to call out violence
    • Intervene: find a safe way to help when you see acts of gender-based violence. Name what you see. Express your concern and ask how you can help. Intervening can also mean providing support and resources
    • Act: give your time or donate to organizations working to end gender-based violence

Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women

In Canada, we recognize the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women on December 6, to commemorate the 14 women at Polytechnique Montréal who lost their lives due to violent misogyny.

All are welcome to join Women and Gender Equity Manitoba, RRC Polytech and the community to commemorate the lives of the 14 women and foster hope for a better future free of gender-based violence.

• Wednesday, December 6, 2023 – 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
    Doors open at 5:00 p.m.
    Event program starts at 5:30 p.m.
    Light refreshments and time for community at 6:30 p.m.
  • Location: Roundhouse Auditorium, Manitou a bii Bii daziigae, Exchange District campus
    319 Elgin Ave., Winnipeg, MB
    Free parking available at Market Lands development lot (site of the former Public Safety building).
  • The event will also be livestreamed via youtube.com/ManitobaGovernment

On December 6, students and staff are encouraged to observe a moment of silence at 11:00 a.m. and wear a white ribbon to signify their support for the end to gender-based violence. White ribbons are available at the following on-campus locations as of Friday, December 1:

• Exchange District Campus
    • Campus Store – Main floor of Building P
    • RRC Polytech Students’ Association – P110
    • Security Services – Paterson GlobalFoods Institute, Room 100

• Notre Dame Campus
    • Campus Store – Mall Level (just off the bus loop)
    • Parking Services – AB38
    • RRC Polytech Students’ Association – CM20
    • Security Services – C115

Stay tuned to the Diversity blog, Staff Forum, and Staff/Student News for upcoming Human Rights Day posts and resources to support further learning.

RRC Polytech campuses are located on the lands of Anishinaabe, Ininiwak, Anishininew, Dakota, and Dené, and the National Homeland of the Red River Métis.

We recognize and honour Treaty 3 Territory Shoal Lake 40 First Nation, the source of Winnipeg’s clean drinking water. In addition, we acknowledge Treaty Territories which provide us with access to electricity we use in both our personal and professional lives.

Learn more ›