Safety and Security Tips
Theft of personal property
It’s important to use common sense to protect your personal belongings. Here are a few helpful tips to help prevent theft of your valuables.
Protecting your property
- Keep your personal property with you at all times
- Don’t leave belongings unattended, even for a short time
- Close and lock your office door or locker each time you leave
- Maintain a list of identifying information for all personal property
- A properly completed inventory will prove invaluable when reporting losses and preparing insurance claims
- Mark your property with your staff or student number
Credit cards are a target for theft. Maintain a credit card log, which includes all information necessary to cancel them if they are stolen and keep records of all your credit card purchases.
Report your losses immediately to the credit card company, and to Security Services at your campus.
When leaving your bicycle unattended, it’s important to follow a few simple tips to prevent your bike from being stolen.
Protecting your bicycle
- Purchase a good quality lock
- Lock the frame of the bike to the bike rack. If possible lock at least one, if not both tires to the bike rack as well, especially if the tires have a quick release mechanism on them
- Seats with quick releases should also be locked or removed
- Record the serial number, and engrave your staff or student number
- Report any losses immediately to Security Services at your campus
Vehicles and the contents inside are a constant target for thieves. Follow these tips to protect your belongings and vehicle.
Protecting your vehicle
- Always double-check to ensure that you lock your vehicle
- Use the “Club” or similar device to secure your vehicle
- Do not leave bags or valuable items in plain view inside your vehicle
- Vehicle alarms are a useful deterrent to theft
- Walk with a friend or co-worker and keep to well-lit areas
- If you are followed or approached, walk into crowds or change directions
- Have your key ready to open your doors immediately
- Check inside your vehicle before entering
- Keep your vehicle locked while you are driving or parked
- Don’t give your name or address to strangers
- Make use of RRC’s Safe Walk program at the Notre Dame and Exchange District campuses