Seasonal Shutdown Office Challenge
By shutting down or unplugging energy consuming devices over extended breaks, staff can make big impacts on energy consumption at RRC. All they need to do is complete our simple shutdown checklist to be entered to win a catered coffee break.
The Seasonal Shutdown Office Challenge happens twice a year:
- Winter Break: All staff offices are invited to participate in this challenge every December.
- Summer Break: Academic offices that close for the summer are invited to participate every Spring.
Watch our blog and All Staff News for details on each campaign.
How it Works
During the campaign period, simply recruit your colleagues to help, fill out and submit the shutdown checklist (one per office) to be entered to win a prize. It’s as easy as 1-2-3:
- DISPOSE OF PERISHABLES
Remove perishables and clean fridges.
- TURN OFF ELECTRONICS & UNPLUG APPLIANCES NOT IN USE
Where it is safe and possible to do so. Please leave printers ON, they’ll go into energy saving mode on their own.
- TURN OFF LIGHTS
- Lab equipment: Identify equipment that can be safely turned off, unplugged, or placed in standby mode over the break.
- Don’t forget to turn off lights and shutdown projectors and AV equipment in any meeting rooms or classrooms that you use.
- Do a department walk-through to ensure valuables are secured and cabinets are locked.
- Activate alarms if applicable before you leave.
- Set yourself a reminder to remember to do your seasonal shutdown checklist before you leave.
- Set yourself a reminder for when you return from holidays to plug needed items in or turn them on.
- Don’t forget to water plants and feed and water vermicomposting worms!