Fair Trade Week
Fair Trade Campus Week is all about raising awareness about Fair Trade and celebrating fairtrade products, like the ones we sell at RRC. Campuses across Canada participate in the week-long event in September.
Celebrations have included lunch-and-learns, coffee breaks, markets featuring fairtrade merchandise from Ten Thousand Villages and our Campus Store, and fairtrade prizes won by participating in mini-challenges and activities. And what’s Fair Trade Campus Week without food? Free fairtrade treats we’ve offered in the past include:
- Freshly baked goodies from the ACC International Baking program such as fairtrade Banana Rum Biscotti dipped in chocolate
- Ben & Jerry’s ice cream
- Chocolate, tea and coffee
Fairtrade products sold at RRC:
- Spirit Bear Coffee: available at the Voyageur Dining Room, the Buffalo Cafeteria, and through College catering
- Paisley Tea: available at the Voyageur Dining Room, the Buffalo Cafeteria, and through College catering
- De Luca’s Coffee: available at the Culinary Exchange in PGI
- Dairy Milk Chocolate Bar: available in vending machines across campus, at the Voyageur Dining Room, the Buffalo Cafeteria, and at the Ox and Mercantile
What is Fairtrade?
Fairtrade guarantees the products that you buy are produced in a socially, financially and environmentally responsible way. In the free market, worker’s rights in developing or underdeveloped countries are not always protected. Under Fairtrade, workers are part of cooperatives where they are ensured stable pay, better working conditions, and local sustainability.
You might have noticed that we use two versions of the word: Fairtrade and fair trade. The word “Fairtrade” is trademarked, referring only to Fairtrade organizations like Fairtrade Canada, or products certified through the Fairtrade International system. “Fair trade” refers to the general movement and can include products that do not carry the FAIRTRADE mark.
The FAIRTRADE Mark
Keeping track of where the products you buy come from can be difficult. The FAIRTRADE logo makes it easy, making a promise that the product you are buying is ethical and lives up to rigorous standards. There are over 7,000 Fairtrade products in Canada with the FAIRTRADE logo.
Here are some things that make Fairtrade unique:
Helping Farming Communities Fight Climate Change