We already have 172 commuters signed up for Commuter Challenge 2019! Last year we had a total of 175, and we want to beat it! all you have to do is sign up here, use sustainable transportation for the week (and beyond), and log your commutes from June 2nd-June 8th!
What is it?
Commuter Challenge is a national event that brings attention to the significance of transportation emissions on our environment, and highlights the physical and mental benefits of active transportation. This challenge gives you the opportunity to try something new, reduce your personal carbon footprint, get some physical activity, fresh air, and save money! In addition, there are a ton of great prizes waiting to be won. To celebrate, we are hosting some events next week that you wont want to miss:
Transportation Welcome Table
We will be welcoming all our NDC sustainable commuters with cinnamon buns, fresh fruit and coffee! Sign-up for Commuter Challenge will also be available here.
Tuesday, June 4 | 7:30am – 9:30 am | NDC Bus Loop
Transportation Welcome Table
We will be welcoming all our EDC sustainable commuters with cinnamon buns, fresh fruit and coffee! Sign-up for Commuter Challenge will also be available here.
Wednesday, June 5 | 7:30am – 9:30 am | Roblin Centre Atrium
Bike Tire Repair 101
Want to learn how to fix a flat tire roadside? Join our session hosted by Daniel Enns to learn how! Sign up to secure your spot here.
Thursday, June 6 | 12pm – 1pm | D-E-F Courtyard (change of location weather permitting)
How do i do it?
Here at Red River College, we have been working hard to ensure that you have all the tools you need to arrive sustainably. To make sustainable transportation as easy as can be, we compiled a small list of phone and desktop apps to help you plan your trip with ease:
- Bike: Biking is an enjoyable way to check out the city, get some exercise, and save money. But it can be daunting! Let these help:
- The City of Winnipeg PDF Bike Map outlines all the bike lanes in the city and what type they are to help you tailor your route to what you feel comfortable with.
- Visit RRC Commuting and Parking for lists and locations of both bike racks, bike lockers, and a secured bike room at varying campuses to ensure you have a spot to keep your bike safe when you get to the College!
- These bike locking tips are the last step to help keep your bike secure.
- Bus: In Winnipeg, each of our campuses are serviced by many bus routes. Try these tools below to help you get to where you have to go, sit back, and enjoy a book or a podcast while you get there!
- The RRC EcoPass is a subsidized bus pass for staff and faculty members and can be picked up at the Campus Store.
- Navigo is Winnipeg Transits online and mobile trip planner
- Winnipeg Bus Live is a great app that lets you know if your bus is going to be early or late (fingers crossed for neither)
- Transit is another reliable app that you can use to help plan your trip today, tomorrow, or in a week from now. There are accessibility customization’s available, too!
- Carpool: Did you know, carpooling counts as a sustainable mode of transportation? It’s true!
Register today, come by our events, and don’t forget to spread the word!