orange iconOperational Response Level: Restricted ›
Person washing hands

Coronavirus Information

RRC announces plans for Winter 2021 academic term

October 2, 2020

Sent to all Red River College staff and students:

As our College community continues to navigate through the Fall Term, we recognize the importance of providing information regarding our plans for upcoming 2021 Winter Term.

I want to emphasize that with parts of our province, including Winnipeg, moving to Orange status recently, Red River College continues to monitor public health changes and develop plans that are based on the best advice from public health officials. We will continue to do so and adjust as necessary because the safety of our students and employees is our top priority.

The College’s Winter Term, which begins January 4, 2021, will look much like the current academic term, with most programs continuing in a blended format, online and on campus, with a modest increase in the number of students returning to campus for essential and necessary hands-on learning. Our programs typically require hands-on learning and our careful planning allows us to safely increase these offerings in our Winter Term.

Thanks to incredible work from all our staff and faculty, and the resilience of our students, we developed and maintained an effective approach to delivering programs on campus and online during the Fall Term. Enhanced health and safety measures made it possible for limited numbers of staff, faculty and students to return for essential hands-on learning and industry training.

Our Winter Term will build on these efforts. We are fortunate that our scheduling, space requirements, and health and safety measures (as approved by public health) allow us to plan for a modest increase in on-campus academic activity. This activity is important in creating student connections and enriching the overall learning experience – and we are committed to finding ways to do this while still adhering to the stringent safety measures that are in place.

For staff, work will continue through our Academic Re-Entry Team and our Incident Management Team to consult with all areas and identify programs and activities that would benefit from returning to campus in a limited capacity. If you see opportunities you’d like to explore, please share them with your manager. We will provide you with updates as soon as we have further details.

For students, we will contact you with updates via your RRC email, Student News, and at rrc.ca as soon as we have details to share.

Current on-campus health and safety measures – including physical distancing protocols, increased cleaning, hand hygiene stations, and the requirement to wear a mask – will remain in place.

This pandemic continues to demand a lot from all of us. Thank you for your commitment, creativity and resilience. As we continue planning for our Winter Term, we know a lot more about our College – and we have built tremendous capacity over the last six months.

Christine Watson
Vice-President, Academic