Academic Success

Student Accessibility Services

Frequently Asked Questions

What do we mean by accommodations?

Academic Accommodations refers to an intervention that helps a student with a disability access course material, receive the most benefit from course delivery and demonstrate mastery of course material. Accommodation may occur in the academic environment or in a work-integrated learning setting, such as a practicum or clinical placement. Accommodations must be reasonable, which means that no one suffers unduly – not the student, not the instructor, not the College.

The purpose of accommodations is to “level the playing field” between students with disabilities and students who do not have disabilities. The purpose is not to provide an unfair advantage or to compromise learning outcomes. Accommodations should not be confused with modification which change or alter learning outcomes. RRC Polytech does not provide modifications to courses or programs.

I am a current RRC Polytech student and think I may have a disability but I’m not sure. What should I do?

If you think you may have a disability make an appointment to see an Accessibility Specialist by stopping by our office or booking an appointment online. We will do our best to help you figure out what you need to do next.

How do I know if my documentation is what RRC Polytech needs?

RRC Polytech has a Documentation Guide that clearly outlines what we require to help you develop the best accommodation plan. Whenever possible, we ask students to provide us with their documentation prior to the first meeting so the accessibility specialist has time to carefully review the documentation. If you have documentation but it does not meet our requirements, you may still be eligible to receive some accommodation while you update your information.

Why is documentation required?

Student Accessibility Services requires documentation of your disability so that we can determine the effects of your disability on your academic performance and decide on appropriate and reasonable academic accommodations. If you provide Student Accessibility Services with a copy of your documentation verifying your disability, you will not be required to provide documentation to anyone else at RRC Polytech.

With documentation, students with disabilities can often be eligible for financial assistance for equipment or services related to their disability. Financial assistance programs require documented proof of a disability before they will consider your application for financial aid.

Do individuals with disabilities receive special consideration for admission?

No. Individuals with disabilities must meet the same admission requirements as students without disabilities. Individuals, however, may receive accommodations for admission testing when appropriate. If you would like to request accommodations for an admission test, make an appointment with an Accessibility Specialist by completing our online registration form.

Does Student Accessibility Services play a role in deciding if a person is accepted into a program?

No. Enrolment Services at RRC Polytech determines if a person is eligible to enter a program based on the admission requirements of that program.

Will instructors be flexible in their testing procedures and assignments if a student has a disability?

Testing and assignments are accommodated according to the student’s documented disability-related needs. It is important to note that students with disabilities are required to meet the same essential learning outcomes as students who do not have disabilities. Accommodations may be granted to provide equal opportunity to meet these same essential learning outcomes.

Are the services I receive free of charge?

RRC Polytech has the expectation that all students with disabilities, in collaboration with their Accessibility Specialist, explore funding to support the costs of academic accommodations and accessibility services. However, we will not refuse service to anyone on the basis of funding being denied.

Is all information that is disclosed to Student Accessibility Services treated as confidential?

Student Accessibility Services treats all student information as confidential. We require written permission from students before speaking with anyone regarding their accommodation needs, disability or any other personal information.

RRC Polytech campuses are located on the lands of Anishinaabe, Ininiwak, Anishininew, Dakota, and Dené, and the National Homeland of the Red River Métis.

We recognize and honour Treaty 3 Territory Shoal Lake 40 First Nation, the source of Winnipeg’s clean drinking water. In addition, we acknowledge Treaty Territories which provide us with access to electricity we use in both our personal and professional lives.

Learn more ›