Vehicle Technology and Research Centre
Located at Red River College Polytechnic’s Notre Dame Campus, the Vehicle Technology and Research Centre (VTRC) is a dynamic facility where partners, researchers, staff and students collaborate on applied research projects including, prototype design, development and fabrication; testing and evaluation of components, systems and vehicles; vehicle and fleet demonstrations using alternative and renewable fuels.
60,000 ft2 complex
The Centre is comprised by facilities that combine academic and industrial functions
The Vehicle Technology and Research Centre has educational facilities available for theoretical instruction
Large shop area
The shop area replicates a typical work environment in the transportation and trucking industry
“The transition to electrification brings a rapid shift in safety and technology that our technicians need to be prepared for. The course developed with Red River College Polytechnic introduces technicians to the high-voltage electric vehicle systems needed to support both battery electric and fuel-cell battery electric vehicle technologies and prepare them for the more in-depth manufacturer training.”Eric Rensfelt, Vehicle Systems Supervisor, Winnipeg Transit
The VTRC building has received certification from the Canada Green Building Council. It includes several sustainable features that are uncommon for a large industrial building:
- Geothermal heating and cooling: A groundwater loop system provides partial heating and cooling of the facility.
- Natural heating: SolarWall systems collect the sun’s energy to preheat outdoor air before it ventilates classrooms.
- Daylight views: More than 90% of regularly occupied spaces have direct views of the outdoors.
- Native vegetation: Plants surrounding the building require little maintenance, are drought resistant, and help control storm water runoff.
- Recycled and regional content: More than 25% of building materials have recycled content, and 35% of materials are from Manitoba, Saskatchewan or North Dakota.
Compared to a standard structure of the same size, VTRC’s efficient heating and cooling systems produce a 50% reduction in energy use, a 72% reduction in space heating, and a 54% reduction in operating costs. It has been certified as LEED® Silver.