MotiveLab™ is a research facility at Red River College focused on supporting Manitoba’s heavy vehicle sector. A unique facility for Western Canada, MotiveLab™ is capable of supporting on- and off-highway heavy vehicle testing and development requirements for the region.
It is home to a combination All Weather Climatic Chamber and Chassis Dynamometer test facility that caters to vehicles of all sizes across various markets.
The amount of space available for research at MotiveLab™.
The amount of additional facilities and equipment available to industry.
Facility and Technology
- MotiveLab™ has the ability to test vehicles at temperature extremes throughout the year, while under full-load conditions.
- MotiveLab™ is capable of accommodating transit buses and highway coaches, as well as off-highway vehicles such as tractors and self-propelled harvesting equipment.
- MotiveLab™ is able to simulate various ground topologies, such as slopes.
- MotiveLab™ addresses the sector’s lack of access to appropriate and/or comprehensive domestic test facilities, considerable pressure from regulatory bodies for emissions control and fuel efficiencies, and the availability of highly qualified and skilled personnel for the workforce.
- The climatic chamber has an operating temperature capability of between -40°C and +50°C (independent of outside ambient temperature).
- An upcoming 150kW Heavy Vehicle Charging station will be accessible while inside the chamber.
- Vehicles can be tested on an integrated, adjustable, high-performance, three-axis 1,000 HP chassis dynamometer.
- The Chassis Dynamometer has the ability to regenerate the power it produces back into the overall chamber power load.
- Additional research equipment and instrumentation includes portable emissions test equipment, data loggers, a biodiesel refinery, a 7.7KW Level 2 AC charging station, a 30KW DC quick charger, specialized battery testers, tools and protective equipment required for testing electric vehicle batteries.
- A secondary use is for the aerospace-related applications requiring access to a temperature-controlled test environment.
“Canada has long been a hub for cold weather transport testing. Now it’s becoming an incubator for technologies that test alternative fuels and high-efficiency vehicles in extreme environments. At Red River College in Winnipeg, researchers are helping global companies warm up to a brighter cleantech future by investing in Canada.”
– The Hill, Global Lenses: Canada series
Start a project with MotiveLab™.
MotiveLab™ is part of Red River College’s Vehicle Technology and Energy Centre. Working with us gives you unparalleled access to Red River College’s cutting-edge technology, facilities and expertise. Get in touch with us and propose a new project.Get Involved