Ready for Online Education?
Skills you need to succeed in Online Education
RRC Polytech’s flexible online learning programs and courses use a variety of innovative delivery methods. Set yourself up for academic success both personally and professionally by reviewing this list of recommendations for online learning.
- Online courses may require up to 30-40% more effort than in-class studies; so plan your time and manage your priorities well.
- Set a schedule to balance your work, family and school obligations.
- Plan for a minimum of 6 hours per week for your studies.
- Consider your learning style – do you learn better from multimedia or do you prefer a face-to-face experience?
- Online learning makes heavy use of audio-visual content, recorded lectures and readings.
- Interactions with your instructor and peers happen through a variety of methods such as email, discussion forums and video conferencing.
- Online learning is not like social media. Be familiar with email and discussion forums as tools for communication and learning.
- Some courses may require you to reference any claims you make online. To start, be familiar with the APA citation style.
- Get comfortable with using technology. You will need…
- Access to a reliable internet connection as well as a computer less than 5 years old with the latest software and security updates.
- To know how to consume multimedia content.
- To know how to manage and sort your documents.
- To know how to install, update and troubleshoot your own software.
- To use conferencing technologies such as webcams and microphones.
- Familiarize yourself with the supports available to you as an online student with RRC Polytech:
- If you need technical support, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help with any RRC Polytech operated services (e.g. LEARN, HUB, student email, etc.).
- To learn more about our online education platform (called “LEARN”), visit our LEARN Student Guide.
- For help with your studies, check out Student Support Services.
- Finally, for all other information inquiries, contact our Part-Time and Online Advisor.