From Oct. 20-24, RRC will mark Waste Reduction Week with a series of initiatives aimed at encouraging the College community to rethink, reduce, reuse and recycle — whether on campus or at home.
Waste reduction is a year-round effort at RRC, where each month we collect and recycle over nine tonnes of paper, food and beverage containers and cardboard. The diversion rate at RRC is over 50% — an impressive figure, considering Winnipeg’s residential diversion rate is only about 28%.
Here are three ways you can get involved:
Lug Your Mug and Win!
If you’re spotted using a reusable mug between 9:30-11:30am at the following locations, you could win free coffee for a year:
- Roblin Centre: Oct. 21 & 22 (Tim Hortons)
- Notre Dame Campus: Oct 20 & 24 (Tim Hortons Mall Level); Oct. 23 (Otto’s)
Regional campus staff can also participate. Send a photo of you and your eco-mug here, and you’ll be entered to win.
Recycle your old, broken or unused electronic equipment and small appliances. Materials can be dropped off all week from 11am-2pm at the following locations:
- Notre Dame Campus (Library hallway)
- Roblin Centre (William Building, near Shipping and Receiving)
Confidential e-waste (RRC equipment and digital media with personal or confidential information) can be dropped off at designated recycling bins:
- Notre Dame Campus (Room F102, IT Solutions — contact Neil Fogg at 204.632.2041 for access)
- Roblin Centre: Shipping and Receiving, Room W101
Vermicomposting — Build Your Own Worm Bin
Vermicomposting is an easy way to turn your food into worm food. Join Greenspace Management instructors Dwayne Sayers and Ruth Rob to get the straight “poop” on how to make a worm bin for your office.
- When: Thursday, Oct. 23, Noon-12:55pm
- Where: eTV Studio (GM33), Notre Dame Campus
- Cost: Free for those making a bin for office use; $20 for those making a bin for home use