Red River College students led the way for a Manitoba delegation that earned the highest number of gold medals at the recently held 17th Canadian Skills Competition in Quebec City. The annual Skills Canada National event took place from June 1 to 4.
Team Manitoba received a total of 24 medals, including 13 Gold, 5 Silver, and 6 Bronze. The teams from Ontario and Quebec each earned 10 Gold medals, while the Alberta and British Columbia delegations each finished with 7 Gold.
Of the Team Manitoba medals, Red River College students won 4 Gold, 2 Silver, and 3 Bronze:
- Andrew Hallmann, CNC Machining (post-secondary) – Gold
- Markus Messerschmidt, Autobody Repair (post-secondary) – Gold
- Ryan Peters, Carpentry (post-secondary) – Gold
- Vasyl Zhukov-Malyeyev, Cabinet Making (post-secondary) – Gold
- Jacob Bell, Brick Masonry (post-secondary) – Silver
- Chad Verplaestse, Sheet Metal Work (post-secondary) – Silver
- Colin Dewitt, Landscape Gardening (post-secondary) – Bronze
- Mackenzie Harman, Landscape Gardening (post-secondary) – Bronze
- Jesse Reimer, Architectural Tech & Design (post-secondary) – Bronze
Congratulations to the RRC representatives, as well as the rest of Team Manitoba, on an excellent showing!