Set up Versioning
When you enable SharePoint versioning on a library or list, you can track and manage your information as it changes. Versioning retains changes made to your files. For example, if an older version is more accurate than the current one, you can choose to recover it. (Versioning is turned off by default.)
- You must either have full control or design permissions in order to enable versioning.
- SharePoint may store versions for audit purposes or for legal obligations.
Set up versioning in libraries and lists
- Open the library or list where you would like to enable versioning.
- On the Library tab, click Library Settings.
On the List tab, click List Settings.
- On the General Settings window, click Versioning settings.
- On the Versioning Settings menu, select your options, and then click OK.
Preview and restore version history
- Open the library or list where you would like to preview or restore a version.
- Hover the mouse cursor next to the file, and then on the Files tab, click Version History.
The Version History listing will open for that file.
- Hover the mouse cursor over the version that you would like to restore, click the drop‑down menu, and then click Restore. Your restored file will become the current version.