RRC Virtual Indigenous Celebration
Friday, June 5, 2020 | 12:00 pm
Red River College – Indigenous Education Facebook Page
“RRC’s annual Pow Wow has been a point of pride for the College for nearly 20 years and has been a tremendous way to honour, celebrate, and make Indigenous culture more accessible for the College community. Although we are not yet able to be together physically, we still are, and will always be, dedicated to advancing Indigenous achievement and embedding Indigenous ways of knowing and being,” says Isabel Bright, Acting Dean, School of Indigenous Education. “We want to ensure we are doing what we can to help students celebrate important milestones and reminds them that they are part of a community.”
Our annual Indigenous student celebration is moving online! We are excited to create a virtual place that makes our students feel special, honours their achievements, and holds space for Indigenous culture and teachings. Join us Friday, June 5 for a Facebook live stream featuring some special performances on the Indigenous Education Facebook page.
Although we can’t all be together, we can find ways to celebrate and mark this special occasion. If you’d like to host your own Celebration at home, or create a special moment for yourself to honour your journey, we’ve included some ways that can add to your celebrations – online and offline.
- Instagram users: search “RRC” in stickers when posting to your stories for our Virtual Indigenous Celebration sticker. We love that this sticker has a heart/drum beat and a nod to the medicine wheel! Tag @redrivercollege in your stories in this Friday so we can share and bring our Celebration onto Instagram. To Indigenous students who registered: we would love to see you wearing your RRC Indigenous stole when you receive it in the mail.
- Update your Facebook picture picture with our new profile picture frame.
- Make your own bannock with “Cooking with the Coyote” Corey Whitford, Indigenous Language Instructor.
- Make Cedar Tea.
- Sew your own ribbon skirt with Wellness Advisor Donna Glover.
- Download these colouring sheets by Anishinabee artist Jackie Traverse to create some art!
- Miss visiting our Indigenous spaces at the College? Take yourself on a 360 tour of the Medicine Wheel Garden and Notre Dame Indigenous Support Centre.
Registration is now closed to be included in the Virtual Indigenous Celebration, but students can still register to receive a mailed gift by visiting rrc.ca/indigenous/virtual-celebration until June 19.