Procedures for Accessing Exam Accommodations and Student Responsibilities
Exam Accommodations Steps
- Have current and approved accommodations (through your Counsellor)
- Sign a Student Responsibilities Acknowledgement form (once per academic year)
- Email Exam Accommodations to request that your Letters of Exam Accommodations are sent to your instructors (per term/semester)
- Use the Accessibility Services Student Self-Service Website to submit a request for accommodations (for each quiz/test/exam)
- Use the same website to check your request was received and confirmed
Scheduling Your Quiz/Test/Exam
Prior to each (and every) quiz/test/exam that you wish to receive exam accommodations for, you must submit your request online using the Accessibility Services Student Self-Service Website indicating all required information.
Students with questions or those who experience difficulties using the website are encouraged to contact Exam Accommodations:
Renewing your Accommodations
Exam Accommodations cannot be provided to a student whose accommodations have expired. You must be aware of when your accommodations expire and connect with your Counsellor prior to the date in which you need to submit a request for Exam Accommodations.
1. Contact your Counsellor to request renewal of accommodations
2. Request Letter of Exam Accommodations (LEAs) be sent to each
instructor, each term/semester you are registered
Given the volume of exams that are invigilated by Exam Accommodations staff yearly, it is vital that all required exam information be provided by the student and that their request is submitted on time in order to meet the requests of all students utilizing our services. If our procedures are not followed, we cannot guarantee accommodations for that particular exam.
If the student’s request for accommodations is submitted following any of the points below, a Reminder Notice will be issued to remind the student of our procedures:
- is submitted late (less than 7 days’ in advance)
- is missing information or has incorrect information (e.g. incorrect date or time)
On the third time that a Reminder Notice is given to a student, Exam Accommodations will not be provided for that particular exam, and the student will need to write that exam without their eligible accommodations.
Requests for accommodations that are submitted late will first only be considered given staff availability to work on the late request. Late requests are then considered in the order they are received and only approved given staff availability. Given how much notice is provided, accommodations may not be provided as there may not be enough time to get accommodations in place.
Considerations for Booking with Exam Accommodations
Deferrals or Time Conflicts
- Exam Accommodations staff are not able to approve requests for deferrals (for students to write at a different date/time than their class) – students in need of a deferral must make their deferral request with their instructor or department prior to submitting their request for accommodations
- Students with time conflicts (e.g. two exams scheduled at the same time, time extension conflicts, etc…), are responsible to speak with their instructor or department regarding a deferral
Continuing and Distance Education
Students are required to book their exams following any guidelines that the Continuing and Distance Education, or their instructors have outlined. There may be specific dates or times that students must write at.
Section 2, Policy:
“Students are responsible for conducting themselves in an honest and ethical manner that is respectful of the entire College community.”
Section 4.5, Be Respectful, A:
“Students have the responsibility to: be respectful … treat all members of the College Community in a respectful manner.”
Section 1, Policy:
“Students will behave in a manner consistent with the fundamental values of Academic Integrity. They will avoid all forms of Academic Misconduct, and will seek clarification from College instructional staff to ensure an understanding of the expectations for their Academic Work. The college will take appropriate action when a Student becomes involved in Academic Misconduct.”
Student Responsibilities Acknowledgement
Students must agree that they:
- have read and understood the entire “Exam Accommodations – Student Responsibilities” document, and will follow all processes and procedures required in order to receive exam accommodations
- understand and accept the exam accommodations they have been deemed eligible for
- will adhere to all Red River College policies related to academic integrity and respectful conduct
- understand that if all processes and procedures are not followed, exam accommodations cannot be guaranteed for that particular exam
- understand that it is their responsibility to seek clarification if they are ever unsure of their rights or responsibilities, or have questions/concerns