Virtual career fairs have existed even before the COVID-19 pandemic hit. But given the current restrictions as a result of the coronavirus safety measures, career fairs that were usually held in-person are now making use of different virtual platforms as an avenue for employers and job-seekers to connect.
When preparing for virtual career fairs, a lot of the tips we have for in-person career fairs highlighted in the document Career Fair Preparation Tip Sheet still apply, including:
- Determine your goals and identify which skills you want to market.
- Do your research. Find out which companies will be represented and see if they are of interest to you.
- Prepare your talking points, such as your tailored career story and relevant questions for each employer.
- Practice your approach so you are ready when it’s time to introduce yourself to an employer!
- Plan what you will wear. Dress professionally, as you would for a job interview.
For more information on what to expect at virtual career fairs, check out this article by Andrew Seaman, Senior Editor for Job Search & Careers at LinkedIn News:
If you need help with preparing yourself for upcoming virtual career fairs, or if you have any other employment-related questions, book an appointment with an Employment Advisor by contacting RRC Student Employment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Employment Advisors can provide supports over the phone, email, and video conferencing.