News

CreComm instructor named ‘Favourite Prof’ in annual UWinnipeg survey

January 19, 2015

joanne 1They like her — they really like her!

Former journalist Joanne Kelly needn’t worry about her Q-rating having slipped since she traded her on-camera gig for the classroom a few years back.

The Red River College instructor was recently named “Favourite Prof” in the 2015 edition of The Uniter 30, an annual issue of the University of Winnipeg’s student newspaper determined entirely by reader votes.

Kelly — who actually beat a pair of UWinnipeg profs for the survey’s top spot — has a reputation for encouraging students to work outside of their comfort zones, one she first earned while serving as a frequent industry mentor at Shaw TV, and later cemented after joining RRC’s Creative Communications staff in 2011.

Kelly spent 15 years — at Shaw, CTV Winnipeg, and BCTV — showcasing everyday people and their stories, an approach she continues to adopt with first-year journalism students and those taking second-year broadcast and live TV courses.

Most notably, she’s been able to transform one of her passion projects at Shaw — a live telethon benefitting the Winnipeg Humane Society — into a successful enterprise for CreComm students, who now host, produce, script and shoot the entire event. (Last year, the telethon raised $72,000 and was named Best Remote – Special by the Broadcast Educators Association of Canada.)

In addition, the Live at Five broadcast led by Kelly and her teaching partner Forde Oliver has twice been named Best Student Broadcast by the BEAC, once in 2013 and again 2014.

RRC Polytech campuses are located on the lands of Anishinaabe, Ininiwak, Anishininew, Dakota, and Dené, and the National Homeland of the Red River Métis.

We recognize and honour Treaty 3 Territory Shoal Lake 40 First Nation, the source of Winnipeg’s clean drinking water. In addition, we acknowledge Treaty Territories which provide us with access to electricity we use in both our personal and professional lives.

Learn more ›