Communication for Engineers and Technologists
This English for Specific Purposes (ESP) program is designed to prepare students for different technical academic programs offered at Red River College: Civil, Electric, Mechanic, Precision Machining, and Aircraft Maintenance Engineerings. Students looking to attend Clinical Laboratory, Quality Control and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing can also attend benefit from taking English for Technical Professions.
This full-time, 14-week communication program is intended for international students who have not met the English language requirements for their academic program and have a background/interest in the technical program mentioned above.
Communication for Technical Professions helps students to:
- Develop communication skills in English to effectively interact in the college academic setting and in their future workplace
- Develop learning and study skills and strategies to successfully meet the linguistic, academic, cultural, and social demands of a college program
- Learn the specific technical language of their college program through research, program exposure activities, classroom tasks, and independent study
- Reinforce their communication skills and expand their knowledge about socio-cultural and employment competencies in presentations delivered by college teachers and students’ support and academic advisors
Knowledge and skills are gained through adult English as an Additional Language classroom study, computer laboratory work, guest speakers and workshops, field trips, and observations of academic programs.
- Must be an international visa student with a current study permit
- English Language Proficiency: Minimum Canadian Language Benchmark 6
- Spring 2021: May 4, 2021 – August 20, 2021
- Fall 2021: August 30, 2021 – December 12, 2021
- Winter 2022: January 4, 2022 – April 22, 2022