How to Apply

International Students / Visa Students

International students / visa students have several program options for studying English at the Language Training Centre.

For an application form and an Application Guide for International Students, please contact Red River College Polytechnic’s Centre for International Education and Global Partnerships (CIEGP) at or 1.204.632.2143.

After you apply, you are required to have an English language assessment test to make sure you are placed in the appropriate level. Intensive English students are tested on-site and placed in one of the many levels of this program, from high beginner to intermediate.

Permanent Residents and Refugees

Permanent Residents and Refugees may be enrolled at the Language Training Centre in the English Language Learning Program (Full-Time or Part-Time), or any of the English for Specific Purposes (ESP) programs.


  • Basic to High Intermediate Level
  • CLB Stage I-II (3-7)
  • Plans to pursue educational/training opportunities and/or enter job market

All Permanent Resident applicants must first have an English language assessment from WELARC (Winnipeg English Language Assessment and Referral Centre).

Please contact WELARC at 204.943.5387 or to register for your language assessment test.

Once your English language skills have been assessed, WELARC will refer you to a language program that fits your needs. If you are referred to the Language Training Centre, we will contact you about how to continue with your orientation and registration .


Programs for Permanent Residents are funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). There are no tuition fees for eligible Permanent Residents of Canada. (Please note that the AEPUCE program does have a fee for materials and books.)

Only Permanent Residents and Visa Students are eligible to apply. As of March 31, 2013, Canadian citizens are no longer eligible to register.