A20 – Requirements for Graduation
Originator: Vice President, Academic
Approver: Senior Academic Committee
Effective: September 18, 2019
Replaces: June 12, 2015, July 2007
To be eligible to graduate from an academic program, a student must complete the requisite number of courses in a program within a particular time period and also meet Red River College’s residency requirement.
Since Red River College’s academic program learning outcomes, competencies, knowledge, skills and the application of knowledge and skills are updated continually to evolve with technological and other innovations in business and industry, the College must ensure that its graduates’ education and skills training are equally up to date upon graduation from an academic program. Therefore, the College will set limited time periods for academic program completion. The completion time periods may vary from credential to credential.
2.1 – Time Limitations for Completion of Academic Programs
The maximum time period for the completion of all academic programs (regardless of full time or part time format) leading to a Red River College academic credential will be as follows, from the initial date of enrollment:
- Certificate – 4 years
- Diploma – 6 years
- Advanced Diploma – 7 years
- Baccalaureate Degree – 8 years
- Post Graduate Certificate – 3 years
- Post Graduate Diploma – 4 years
The above-noted program completion time periods may be adjusted for the following reasons:
- based on direction, standards or recommendation from a professional association, regulatory or governing body, and approved by Senior Academic Committee;
- or by a College program with recommendation from its program advisory committee, and with Senior Academic Committee approval, for the purposes of ensuring students receive relevant training to meet current and future industry demands; or
- in individual student cases, with recommendation from the program Chair, the program Dean has discretion to extend a program completion time. When approval is granted, the Dean will provide a written approval to the student, with a copy to the Registrar’s Office.
2.3 – Residency Requirement
To be eligible for a Red River College academic credential, 25% of a student’s academic credits must be in their program major and obtained through Red River College.