MS Teams breakout rooms FAQ
Breakout rooms allow you, as a meeting organizer, to split your meeting or class into smaller groups for focused discussions.
How do I set up breakout rooms?
- Turn on the new Teams meeting experience. Please see How do I turn on the new meeting experience – Microsoft Teams basic user FAQ for instructions.
- Ensure that all participants, including the meeting organizer, are using the latest version of Teams. Please see How do I access Microsoft Teams – Microsoft Teams basic user FAQ for instructions.
- Join a meeting as a meeting organizer (channel/private scheduled meeting, or channel/private meet now meeting), and then click the Breakout room button in the top right‑hand corner.
NOTE: Only a meeting organizer can see this option. Meeting attendees and presenters will not see the breakout room option.
When can I assign participants to breakout room?
You can manually assign participants to a room before it opens when you are setting up the rooms and reassign them to a different room after the room is open.
You also can auto‑assign participants to rooms when you first set up the rooms in the meeting.
What features are available for meeting organizers?
As a meeting organizer, you set up breakout rooms using the Teams desktop client (please see How do I access Microsoft Teams – Microsoft Teams basic user FAQ for instructions) and you can access the following features:
- Create breakout rooms in scheduled private meetings (including recurring meetings), as well as private meet now meetings.
- Manage rooms and move between rooms whenever you want.
- Setup a breakout room during an active meeting.
- Create up to 50 breakout rooms in a single meeting.
- Add, remove, rename, and delete breakout rooms. As well as access chats, files, recordings, etc. from rooms.
- Reassign room participants from one room to another before the meeting and while the rooms are open. (You can decide to move participants automatically when you open the room or have them click to confirm the move.)
- Send an announcement that will show up as a meeting chat message in each room.
What features are available for meeting participants?
- Join breakout rooms from web, desktop, or mobile devices.
- Join the room as a presenter to present and share information.
- Chat during the breakout session and view information and documents shared during the meeting.
Where can I find more information about Teams breakout rooms?
For more information about creating, starting, assigning participants, and chatting in breakout rooms, please visit Microsoft’s How to use the NEW Breakout Rooms in Microsoft Teams meetings YouTube video.
You can also visit Microsoft’s Create and manage Breakout Rooms during class meetings webpage for instructions on using the following features:
- Create and rename breakout rooms
- Assign participants to rooms
- Start, join, and reassign participants to breakout rooms
- Send an announcement and chat with participants in breakout rooms
- Add, delete or close breakout rooms
- Save files, recordings, and notes from breakout rooms
- Edit settings for breakout rooms
How can I receive additional technical assistance?
If you have explored the FAQ page and LinkedIn Learning videos and still cannot find the answers you are looking for, please see the ITS Service Desk webpage to submit a support request.