Microsoft Lists FAQ
Microsoft Lists is a Microsoft 365 app that helps you track information and is a simple, smart, and flexible way to organize work that matters most to your team. You can create and share lists that help you track issues, assets, routines, contacts, inventory, and much more.
Microsoft Lists is about more than just writing something down, it allows you to easily create, share, and track lists with anyone—using any device. Its smart collaboration features keep everyone in sync, and its flexibility allows you to customize your lists according to your needs. You can create lists that you own and can share or team lists owned by members of your teams.
Please visit Microsoft’s Get started with Microsoft Lists webpage for detailed instructions to help you get the most out of Microsoft Lists.
You can scroll through all of these introductory topics or click the following links to navigate directly to the area you need help with:
- How do I access Microsoft Lists?
- How do I create a list from Microsoft Lists home?
- How do I create a list in Microsoft Teams?
- What types of lists can I create?
- How do I edit lists?
- How do I share a list or list item?
- How do I manage list permissions?
- Where can I find more information about Microsoft Lists?
- How can I receive additional technical assistance?
How do I access Microsoft Lists?
You can start from Lists home or Microsoft Teams.
- To access the Lists app, log on to HUB, and in the Launchpad widget, under Applications, click Office 365, and then select Lists.
- To access lists in Microsoft Teams, please refer to the How do I create a list in Microsoft Teams section.
How do I create a list from Microsoft Lists home?
How do I create a list in Microsoft Teams?
You can create a new list, add an existing list, and chat on list items from within Microsoft Teams. Please visit the Microsoft Teams loves Microsoft Lists webpage for more information or follow the instructions below.
- Click + to add a new tab to a Teams channel.
- On the Add a tab window, click the Lists icon to create a new list or embed an existing list.
- To create a new list, refer to Step 4. To add an existing list, refer to Step 5.
- To create a new list, on the Lists tab, click Create a list, and then refer to the What types of lists can I create section to customize your list.
- To add an existing list, on the Lists tab, click Add an existing list.
- On the Add an existing list window, type or paste a list into the Enter link here field, and then press the Enter key or click the Next arrow beside the field. You also can choose a list that appears in the Sorted by last modified section.
What types of lists can I create?
When the Create a list window opens, you can choose from the following options to create a new list:
- Blank list – Choose this option to create a new list from scratch. Please visit Microsoft’s Create a list webpage for detailed instructions.
- From Excel – To create a new list by importing Excel table data, please visit Microsoft’s Create a list based on a spreadsheet webpage for more information.
- From existing list – You can use this timesaving option to create a new list with the same columns as another list, but without the data from the original list. Please visit Microsoft’s Create a new list based on the columns in another list webpage for details.
- Template – To use a ready‑made template to help you track issues, assets, inventory, etc., please visit Microsoft’s Create a list from a template webpage. For more information about the different types of templates, please visit List templates in Microsoft 365.
How do I edit lists?
For more information about editing your lists, please visit the following webpages:
- Create a column in a list or library
- Delete a column in a list or library
- Edit a list view
- Delete a list
How do I share a list or list item?
If you have Full Control access to a list, you can share lists and list items with everyone who has permissions to the site and specific items with people who do not have access to your list. For more information about sharing lists, please visit Microsoft’s Share a list or list item webpage.
How do I manage list permissions?
For information about managing permissions so people can edit, view, or share your lists, please visit Stop sharing OneDrive or SharePoint files or folders, or change permissions.
Where can I find more information about Microsoft Lists?
For more information about creating, editing, customizing, and sharing lists, please see the Microsoft Lists LinkedIn Learning video collection curated by IT Solutions.
How can I receive additional technical assistance?
If you have explored the FAQ page and LinkedIn Learning videos and still cannot find the answers you are looking for, please see the ITS Service Desk webpage to submit a support request.