The safest way to place your files into OneDrive is to copy them from File Explorer and paste them into your OneDrive folders. Dragging them can result in files being dropped into unintended folders, making it difficult to locate them afterwards.
When naming your OneDrive files, keep them short and meaningful, and do not add characters such as # or ✱.
You may copy files to your OneDrive in one of two ways:
- Individually from your computer to OneDrive.
- Sync the entire Documents folder from your computer to your OneDrive.
The following instructions assume that you already have a OneDrive for Business account setup on your computer. If you have not yet set up OneDrive, refer to the Set up OneDrive Help Resources page for directions.
Copy files to OneDrive
For instructions to sync your entire Documents folder to OneDrive, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer (to access File Explorer, right‑click the Start menu and select File Explorer, or click the File Explorer shortcut on the taskbar).
- In File Explorer, select the document that you want to copy to OneDrive, right‑click, and then select Copy.
- In File Explorer, select OneDrive – Red River College in the left‑hand pane, right‑click in the blank space in the middle window, and then select Paste.
Although your document appears in your OneDrive folder, it has not been removed from its original storage location. In addition, if you make changes to the original document and save it to File Explorer, your OneDrive version of the document will not automatically update.
Sync your Documents folder with OneDrive
If you want to sync all of your files from your Documents library on your laptop or computer to your OneDrive account, we recommend that you follow the steps provided by Microsoft. Refer to Sync your Documents folder with OneDrive for this process.
Please note that this will copy all files from your computer’s Documents library. DO NOT store or upload any sensitive, confidential, or personal information that is covered by FIPPA or PHIA to your Red River College OneDrive account.
Refer to the OneDrive academic usage recommendations webpage for more information regarding IT Policy IT2 – Security of Information Technology Resources.