Scanned PDF FAQ
When is a PDF file too large to send in an email?
A PDF file that is 5MB or more is too large to send in email.
Why is my scanned PDF file too large?
- The dots per inch (DPI) is often the primary cause of a large PDF file. By default, most scanners record images at 300 DPI, which is the minimum DPI for any scanned image that is printed. A PDF that is for screen reading should have a DPI of 72.
- As scanned objects are text-only documents, they do not need to be in colour. Make sure that your images are black and white.
NOTE: Even after setting your scanner to black and white, some scanner software may keep other colour settings enabled. Make sure to decrease the Colour Depth.
Should I scan my documents?
You only need to scan documents that exist in paper form.
Can I save a Word document into a PDF?
- Open the Word document.
- Click File, and then click Save as Adobe PDF.
How can I compress the file?
Compress the file as a .zip file to make it smaller in size.
- Open File Explorer.
- Click on the folder, where your file is located, or the file itself.
- Click the Share tab, and then click Zip.