Does RPL give credit for experience?

No, college credit is not awarded for experience. RPL credit is awarded for the learning (i.e. what a student knows and can do in relation to course/program outcomes) gained from work and life experiences or formal study. Prior learning is any learning that a student has acquired from formal education, work and/or volunteer experience, personal study and any other life activities (i.e. hobbies, travel, training programs, community life, etc.) that resulted in knowledge and skills. Students may have acquired learning which may be equivalent to the knowledge, skills and abilities expected from College courses/programs. Experience by itself is not necessarily evidence of learning or of learning that is equivalent to that required in College courses. RPL processes provide students with the opportunity to prove prior learning for the course/program outcomes.

How many course credits can be awarded through RPL processes?

It is possible to achieve a maximum of 75% credit in a program through the RPL processes. In most cases, the remaining (i.e. 25%) must be earned in actual studies through RRC. The number of credits awarded depends upon the nature and extent of the student’s learning, how well it matches the learning requirements for courses in a RRC program and if the learning is successfully demonstrated. Further detail is outlined in the RRC Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Policy A14.

How will RPL credit appear on a transcript?

Once a student has achieved RPL course credits, the results are recorded on the student’s academic record and an official College transcript may be requested. As noted in RPL Policy A14, the College records successful RPL on transcripts in the same way in which grades are normally transcribed in a course. Where this is not appropriate, the designation “CR” (credit) will be used. Transfer of credit from recognized educational institutions will follow RRC RPL Policy A15 – Transfers between RRC programs and RPL Policy A16 – Transfers of Credits to RRC from Other Post- Secondary Institutions. Unsuccessful RPL will be recorded as “Not Complete” (NC) on the student’s academic record. Program faculty complete the “Results of Portfolio and/or Challenge Process Assessments” form and notify the student of both successful and unsuccessful RPL.

Is there a RPL appeal process?

An appeal for a RPL process is handled in the same way as an academic appeal and follows the policies outlined in the College Policy S3 – Student Appeals.