Allied Health Sciences FAQ

I completed Human Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology more than 5 years ago. Can I request Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), or can I complete a challenge exam to meet this requirement?

Applicants are not able to meet admission requirements through RPL or a challenge exam.  If you completed Human Anatomy and Physiology or Medical Terminology more than 5 years from your application date, then you are required to retake these courses prior to submitting an application to the program.

How do I know if a course meets a Science requirement?

As long as the institution you are attending (or attended) considers a course to meet a Science requirement, then RRC Polytech will accept it as meeting a Science requirement.

Is it possible to complete the academic admission requirements through Red River College Polytechnic?

If you are a previous or current RRC Polytech student, it is possible that you may meet some of the 27 credits required for application. It is also possible to meet the 27 credits required through RRC Polytech’s School of Continuing Education. For more information, fill out our online intake form and an academic advisor will be in touch with you within three business days. Advisors are available Monday to Friday, from 9am to 4pm.

My Winter term university courses are complete but my transcript will not be completed before the April 15 deadline. Am I still eligible to apply?

Yes, applicants have 15 days from their date of application to submit all admission documents. If you apply between January 1 to April 15, you will have until May 15 to submit official final transcripts for any courses you are currently attending in the Winter term. If your institution is unable to provide your post-secondary transcript by May 15, you may email the Admissions Officer to request a short extension. All other admission documents must be submitted within the 15-day timeframe.

*University of Winnipeg Students – Applicants who are currently enrolled in 2024 Winter Term courses at the University of Winnipeg will automatically be given an extended deadline to submit their official final transcript by May 31. The extension is for this transcript only, all other admission documents must be submitted within 15 days of applying.

Do transcripts still need to be submitted in a sealed envelope directly from the post-secondary institution?

RRC Polytech will accept electronic versions of your official final university transcript(s). Electronic versions of transcripts may be uploaded to your Future Student Account or emailed directly to from your institution. Please ensure you keep your original documents as the College may request to see them at any time.

Your transcripts must be official. Unofficial transcripts, Web transcripts and Grade Reports will not be accepted.

Can I request my university to submit my final transcript directly to Red River College Polytechnic?

You may have your final transcript(s) sent to

I completed courses through Red River College Polytechnic. Do I need to submit an official RRC Polytech transcript as part of my application?

The Admissions Officer will have access to your RRC Polytech transcript. However, you may include an unofficial version though HUB with your admission documents.

It states on the website that Post-secondary transcripts must have been issued within 6 months prior to your application date. What does this mean?

You must submit transcript(s) from all post-secondary institutions you have attended. Transcripts must be current. You cannot submit a transcript that you have had in your possession for more than 6 months.

I completed some or all of my education outside of Canada. When will I submit my international high school and/or post-secondary documents?

Any education completed outside of Canada will require an International Credential Assessment. You will receive an email request to submit your international documents once you have submitted all other admission documents, including your English language assessment or DRP (whichever is applicable). The cost of a credential assessment can be found at

I completed my DRP assessment for the Medical Laboratory Sciences program through RRC Polytech. Do I need to submit proof of meeting this requirement?

You will receive an email from Assessment Services informing you that you have or have not met the DRP score required for application. Although Assessment Services forward your DRP score to the Admissions Officer, you may also include this email in the documents attached to your Future Student Account.

I attended university in Canada, but my high school education was not completed in Canada, the US, or an ELR exempt country. Am I able to submit a DRP Assessment based on my post-secondary education?

If you did not complete grade 10, 11 and 12 in Canada, the US or an ELR exempt country, then you are required to submit an approved English language assessment.

Do I have to submit both my high school and my post-secondary transcripts? If so, why?

Applicants must submit both high school and post-secondary transcript(s). The high school transcript will be used to determine if you are to submit an approved English Language Assessment (ELA).

Medical Laboratory Sciences Only: All applicants will submit either a DRP or an English language assessment based on where they completed grades 10, 11 and 12.

I am interested in applying to an Allied Health Sciences program. Which First Aid course should I complete?

You need the 16-hour First Aid course for the following Allied Health Sciences programs:

  • Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography-Echocardiography
  • Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Ultrasound
  • Medical Laboratory Sciences
  • Medical Radiologic Technology

To confirm which 16-hour course you need to complete for these programs, see this list.

You need the minimum 4-hour Basic Life Support – Provider (BLS Provider) course for the following Allied Health Sciences program:

  • Paramedicine – Primary Care Paramedicine 

To confirm which BLS Provider course you need to complete for this program, see this list.

Important: Emergency First Aid is not acceptable for the Allied Health Sciences programs.

Do I need to submit a Criminal Record Check, and Child & Adult Abuse Registration as part of my application?

You are required to sign and submit the Applicant Declaration for Check Documents Form as part to the application process. Do not submit record checks at this time. This is a Progression Requirement, and will be required once you are accepted into an AHS program.

When do I need to submit my Immunization Records?

You are not required to submit immunization records as part of the application process. This is a progression requirement, and will be arranged once you are accepted into an AHS program.

Is there any advantage to submitting an application prior to April 15? Will I have a better chance for admission?

Admission decisions are based first on the Casper. If there are applicants who achieve identical scores on the Casper, the date of application may be used.

Am I able to apply to more than one Allied Health Sciences program?

The admission requirements for Medical Radiologic technology, Medical Laboratory Science, DMS – Ultrasound and DCS – Echocardiography programs are the same.

To apply to more than one program, you must submit an application and application fee for each program. You will only complete one Casper.

All admission documents must be scanned and uploaded to your Future Student Account for each application. If your post-secondary transcript(s) are sent directly from your institution(s) to RRC Polytechnic then only one transcript from each institution you have attended is required. Your transcript(s) will then be added to each of your applications by an RRC Polytech representative.

I did not complete the Casper test by the final sitting date. Am I still able to submit an application for the Fall 2024 intake?

Please do not submit an application if you did not complete your Casper test by the final sitting date.

RRC Polytech campuses are located on the lands of Anishinaabe, Ininiwak, Anishininew, Dakota, and Dené, and the National Homeland of the Red River Métis.

We recognize and honour Treaty 3 Territory Shoal Lake 40 First Nation, the source of Winnipeg’s clean drinking water. In addition, we acknowledge Treaty Territories which provide us with access to electricity we use in both our personal and professional lives.

Learn more ›