Set up Yubikey for multi-factor authentication
To provide an extra layer of security for your College account, Red River College is moving to a multi-factor authentication (MFA) system. With multi-factor authentication, in addition to your College username and password, a time-limited verification is required when you log on to Microsoft 365 services, Outlook desktop and mobile clients, Microsoft Teams, and HUB. That way, if a hacker steals your password, it will be difficult for them to access your account without a verification code.
Once you log on using multi-factor authentication, you will not receive another prompt for verification, unless you completely sign out or change your password.
A YubiKey and a Yubico authentication app are required to complete the multi-factor authentication setup.
View the setup video and follow along with the Windows instructions below.
To install on Windows
- Download the Yubico desktop authenticator app for Windows here.
- Click Open file at the bottom left-hand side of your taskbar.
- On the Yubico Authentication Setup window, click Next.
- On the Yubico Authenticator Setup window, click Next.
- On the following window, click Yes, to allow the app to make changes to your computer.
- One the Yubico Authenticator Setup window, click Finish to complete the installation.
- Click RRC multi-factor authentication. The Security Info window will open in a new tab and then click +Add method to add a sign in method.
- On the Add a method window, select Authenticator app in the drop-down menu, and then click Add.
- On the Microsoft Authenticator window, click “I want to use a different authenticator app”.
- On the setup window, click Next.
- On the Authenticator app window, click Can’t scan image?
The Authenticator app will open and you will see your Account name and Secret key.
- Search for the Yubico Authenticator app that you installed on your computer.
- Insert you Yubikey in to your computer.
- One the Yubico Authenticator app, click Add.
- Click Manual on the Yubico Authenticator app window.
- Go back to the second window image for the Authenticator app.
- Click the Copy symbol next to the Account name and then paste it in the space for the Account name in the Yubico window.
- Click the Copy symbol next to the Secret key and then paste it in the space for the Secret key in the Yubico window.
When complete, it will look like this, and then click Add.
- Double click on your account in the Yubico authentication app and touch the lit ‘y’ on the Yubikey to get a code.NOTE: The code is automatically copied to the clipboard so that you can paste it on the Authenticator app window.
- Paste the code that you copied, and then click Next.