Microsoft Teams owner FAQ
You can view each help topic in this document or click a specific topic below:
- What is my role as a team owner?
- How do I add someone to my team?
- How do I add a large number of members to a Team?
- How do I add a channel?
- Can my team use third-party apps?
- What happens if my team becomes inactive?
- How do I delete a team?
- What role does IT Solutions play with Microsoft Teams at RRC?
What is my role as a team owner?
Each team has a primary and secondary team owner who have elevated privileges on a team. See the Microsoft Teams Glossary – Team owners webpage for detailed information about team owner roles and responsibilities.
How do I add someone to my team?
If you are a team owner, click Teams on the left‑hand pane, select the team name in the list, click the More options () icon, click Add member, and then type the name of the member.
How do I add a large number of members to a Team?
If you want to add a large number of people to a team, you can email them an invitation rather than adding them one at a time.
If you are the team owner, select the team name in the list, click the More options () icon, click Get link to team, click Copy, and then email the link to the person you want to invite to your team. The recipient of your email can simply click the link to join the team. You also can post this link into Learn Discussions for your students rather than emailing it.
You will then get requests from all the users who clicked on the link to join the team. To accept or decline their requests, click the More options () icon, click Manage team , and then click the Pending Requests tab at the top of the page.
How do I add a channel?
If you are a team owner, click Teams on the left‑hand pane, select the team name in the list, click the More options() icon, and then click Add channel.
You also can add a channel on the Channels tab, click the More options() icon, click Manage team, and then click Add channel.
Can my team use third‑party apps?
IT Solutions’ primary focus is on the implementation of Office 365’s core services. At this time, the only available third‑party apps are those currently listed within RRC Polytech Teams.
What happens if my team becomes inactive?
After 365 days of team inactivity (inactivity means that team members have not read or modified content or participated in chat activity), the following process occurs:
- Team owners will receive a renewal email notification 30 days, 15 days, and 1 day prior to the expiration of the team.
- The email will provide team owners with the specific removal date of the team.
- Team owners can keep the team active by replying to the email.
- If there is no response from the team owner, Microsoft will automatically delete the team on the date specified in the email, and the team owner will receive an email about the team’s deletion.
How do I delete a team?
If you no longer require a team, please complete the Microsoft Teams Request – Deactivate Maestro process.
IT Solutions also will delete a team under the following circumstances:
- By request from the department manager or team owner.
- Due to violation of the Applicable policies and Office 365 usage recommendations. (IT Solutions reserves the right to block, restrict, or remove any sites found in violation.)
What role does IT Solutions play with Microsoft Teams at RRC?
- Configure and secure the system.
- Develop and maintain any processes associated with the maintenance, monitoring, security, and provisioning of the system.
- Develop, update, and publish the governance for Teams.
- Review new features.
- Provide, deliver, or develop help documents for the use of Microsoft Teams.