Instructor classroom support
Below is a list of common issues you may encounter when attempting to use a projector with a College‑issued computer. You can scroll through the entire page or click on a specific topic from the following list:
- No audio
- Colour is not clear on screen
- Computer not found or blank projector screen
- Presentation not projecting
- Presentation view has changed
- Projector has shut down
- From computer
Locate the volume icon on the bottom right‑hand side of the taskbar, ensure that you have the volume turned up and not muted.
- From projector
On the projector remote, ensure that you have the volume turned up and not muted.
Colour is not clear on screen
- Cable issue
Ensure that you have properly connected the cables to your computer. If the cable is damaged, please contact Library – Audio Visual Services.
- Projector settings
Due to the various conditions in each classroom, factors such as sunlight can affect the quality of the picture. You may need to adjust the projector settings using the following instructions:
NOTE: As a courtesy, please reset any adjustments you have made when you are finished using the projector.
- Locate the Menu button on the projector remote.
- Using the direction arrows, find the Picture button.
- Using the direction arrows, adjust the Brightness, Contrast, and Colour Temperature.
Computer not found or blank projection screen
- Ensure that you have attached the network cable to your computer.
- Make sure that your laptop has not gone to sleep. For instructions on changing the sleep settings on your computer, refer to the Projector has shut down section.
- There may be a My Computer, My Source, or Search button at the top of the projector remote, press the button so the projector can find your computer.
- You may need to repeatedly press the RGB, Computer, Output, or PC button on the projector remote (depending on the projector model) until your desktop is displayed on the screen.
Presentation not projecting
Hold the Windows logo key + P to open projection options on the sidebar, and then choose either of these options:
- Extend: To show the speaker notes on the monitor and the presentation on the projection screen.
- Duplicate: To view the presentation on both the monitor and the projection screen.
Presentation view has changed
The PowerPoint default is set to switch back to extended display after playing a video, but you must change the setting back to duplicate display. Press the Windows logo key + P to open projection options on the sidebar, choose Duplicate to view your presentation on both your monitor and the projection screen.
Projector has shut down
If your laptop goes to sleep for 15 minutes, the projector will automatically shut down. To change the sleep settings on your computer, follow these steps:
- In the Windows search box, type Power & sleep settings, and then press the Enter key (or click the search result).
- On the Power & sleep menu, under Screen, in the On battery power drop‑down menu, select Never, and in the When plugged in drop‑down menu, select Never.
- On the Power & sleep menu, under Sleep, in the On battery power drop‑down menu, select Never, and in the When plugged in drop‑down menu, select Never.
- If the above topics did not resolve your audio visual, classroom, or projector issue, please see the Library – Audio Visual Services webpage for additional help and resources.
- To report an issue with a College‑issued computer, please submit a Case Log.