Study Permit Extension

As an international student, you must study with a valid study permit if your program is longer than six months. Your study permit can only be extended from inside Canada. You may also extend or apply for your co-op work permit while extending your study permit.

Who’s eligible to apply for a Study Permit Extension?

If you are holding a valid study permit and it’s not covering your entire time of study, plus 90 days.

When to apply for a Study Permit Extension?

You may extend your study permit at least 90 days before it expires. You can’t extend your study permit beyond the expiry date on your passport.

If you apply before your permit expires, you can stay in Canada under the same conditions as your current study permit until you receive a decision from IRCC under implied status.

How much does it cost to apply for a Study Permit Extension?

Application fee: $150 CAD

* Additional fees may apply

How long does it take to apply for a Study Permit Extension?

To check the processing time on study permit extensions, click here and:

  1. Select “Temporary residence (visiting, studying, working)”
  2. Select “Study permit extension”

What documents do I need to apply for a Study Permit Extension?

Prepare the following supporting documents to include with your application:

  • The scanned copy of passport pages needs to show:
    • Page with passport number, dates of issue and expiry, name, date of birth
    • Any marked page, including stamps and visas from either Canada or other countries
  • The scanned copy of your current study permit: merge the passport pages and study permit into one PDF file
  • Confirmation of enrollment (mandatory), and official transcript (optional)
    • Academic transcript (additional charge) and confirmation of enrollment (additional charge) can be ordered at Student Service Centre.
    • Should you be including a Co-Op Work Permit application, please be advised that a Confirmation of Enrollment (COE) is required to serve as the Co-Op Letter. The college does not issue revised LOAs after the program starts.
      • Kindly review the specified sections within your Letter of Acceptance (LOA) to ascertain whether a work experience, co-op, or practicum component is required.
        • Section 22: (Check this session if you also need to apply for co-opwork permit. LOA can be used as the co-op letter)
        • Work Experience/Practicum: Yes
        • Length: Less than 50% of the total program of study
        • Field of Work: Program Related
          Completion of Co-op/Internship/Work Practicum is required to meet graduation requirements.
      • If you apply for a Co-Op Work Permit after the program starts, a valid Confirmation of Enrollment is required as the Co-Op letter and available to be ordered through the Student Service Centres. Please carefully review your Confirmation of Enrollment on-site to ascertain the inclusion of the co-op-related information and make sure this document remains valid up until the date of the submission.
  • Proof of funds available or means of support: you must demonstrate that you have enough funds to support your studies (tuition) and living ($10,000 student + $4,000 spouse + $3,000 per child) for at least one year. You may provide one or a combination of the following:
    • A recently dated official bank statement that includes your Canadian bank’s name, address and your name and address
    • A recently dated official bank statement from your parent’s bank in English or French along with a document showing their relationship to you (if the balance is in foreign currency, please provide the exchange rate and convert the balances to Canadian dollars)
    • Proof of Red River College Polytechnic account statement showing your tuition payment. See instructions on how to print your RRC Polytech Account Statement.

You may need to provide one or more of the following additional documents (if the situation applies to you):

  • Letter of explanation if you want to provide additional information that is not includedin the document list.
  • Medical exam, which may be required if you:
    • Have lived outside of Canada for more than six months in the past 12 months
    • Apply for the co-op work permit while applying for study permit extension, and you are planning to work with jobs that bring you into close contact with people, such as:
      • workers in health care settings
      • clinical laboratory workers
      • patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
      • medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
      • medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
      • workers in primary or secondary school settings, or workers in child-care settings
      • domestics
      • workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
      • day nursery employees
      • other similar jobs
      • jobs in the agricultural field
    • Find out if you need a medical exam. If needed, find the local panel physician to perform your exam
  • Schedule 1: Application for Temporary Residence [IMM5257B] form. This form is only required if you answer “yes” to 3,4,5 or 6 in the “Background Information” section of the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709] form.

How to apply for a Study Permit Extension?


1. Create a MyCIC Account 

Go to MyCIC account. Follow the instructions to create your account.

2. Add a Study Permit Extension Application to Your Account

Login to your MyCIC account. Follow the instructions to create a study permit extension application.

3. Answer Online Questionnaires

You’ll need to fill out questionnaires. The questionnaires will lead to a study permit extension application checklist that is tailored for you. See this guide on how to answer.

4. Generate Document Checklist

See the document checklist.

5. Fill out the Application Form

Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709].

If you cannot download the document using the link above, please check the CIC support page.

For more information, see the sample of the IMM5709 form.

6. Upload Documents

Upload photo copies of the required documents.

7. Submit Application

Submit your application.

8. Confirmation of the Submission

Within five business days, you should receive your confirmation of the submission from the MyCIC account. Here’s what a sample Confirmation of Submission looks like and here is how to confirm you submitted the application successfully.

Note: Study Permit Extension paper applicationis no longer accepted by IRCC unless:

  • You can’t apply online because of a disability
  • There is a problem with the online application

If you are considering a paper application, please contact Red River College Polytechnic’s International Student and Immigration Advisor.

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Student and Immigration Advisor. The advisor can review your completed application before you submit it.

All the above information was retrieved from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please visit IRCC’s website for more information regarding study permit extension.

DISCLAIMER: This document was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is not a legal document. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the information may have changed since this document was prepared. Please always refer to IRCC website for the most up-to-date information, or contact Red River College Polytechnic International Student and Immigration Advisor. This document was prepared on August 30, 2023.

If your program requires a co-op or internship term, don’t forget to apply for a co-op work permit.


Find more information and supports for working in and immigrating to Canada.