Co-Op Work Permit
International students who are undertaking any kind of field education (co-op work experience or internship), regardless of length and compensation, must have a valid co-op work permit.
Who’s eligible to apply for a Co-Op Work Permit?
- You must have a valid study permit.
- Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
- Your employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
- Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50 percent of the total program of study.
When to apply for a Co-op Work Permit?
You must have the co-op work permit before you start your co-op/practicum.
We encourage you to apply as soon as you receive your official letter of acceptance. You may apply for a co-op work permit while you are applying for a study permit or a study permit extension.
How much does it cost to apply for a Co-op Work Permit?
Application fee: $0 (free)
How long does it take to apply for a Co-op Work Permit?
Check the processing time for the co-op work permit, click here and:
- Select “Temporary residence (visiting, studying, working)”
- Select “Work permit extension (new employer)”
- Select the country of your current residence (from where you are applying)
What documents do I need to apply for a Co-op Work Permit?
Prepare the following supporting documents to include with your application:
- Photocopies of passport pages clearly showing each of the following:
- Page with passport number, dates of issue and expiry, name, date of birth
- Any pages with marks or notations
- Photocopy of current study permit
- Proof of medical exam (depending on your case)
- Photocopy of letter of acceptance from RRC
- Revised letter of acceptance ($0): Please send your request to email@example.com with your name and student number.
- If you’re applying for a co-op work permit after starting at RRC, you’ll need academic transcript and or confirmation of enrollment
- Academic Transcript ($29.40) and Confirmation of Enrollment ($17.85) can be ordered at Student Service Centers.
How to Apply for a Co-op Work Permit?
ONLINE APPLICATION PROCEDURE (recommended)
1. Create a MyCIC Account
2. Answer Online Questionnaire
Answer co-op work permit online questionnaire.
On this part, fill out the following required fields:
- What are you applying for? – Visiting, studying, working temporarily
- Which temporary residence application? – Work permit extension (new employer)
3. Generate a Document Checklist
See the sample of a document checklist.
4. Fill out the Application Form
Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker [IMM 5710].
TIP: try using Internet Explorer on a Windows desktop at one of RRC’s computer labs.
See the IMM5710 sample.
5. Upload Documents
Upload photocopies of the required documents.
6. Submit Application
Submit your application.
7. Confirmation of the Submission
Within two business days, you should receive your confirmation of submission from the MyCIC account.
PAPER APPLICATION PROCEDURE
If you choose to submit a paper application instead of an online application, please contact the Red River College’s Immigration Advisor.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Student and Immigration Advisor. The advisor can review your completed application before you submit it.
All the above information was retrieved from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please visit IRCC’s website for more information regarding study permit extension.
DISCLAIMER: This document was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is not a legal document. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the information may have changed since this document was prepared. Please always refer to IRCC website for the most up-to-date information, or contact Red River College Immigration and Student Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org. This document was prepared on May 22, 2018.