Post-Graduation Work Permit


International students are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) that is valid from eight (8) months to up to three (3) years, depending on the duration of the academic program completed.

As you seek employment before or after graduation, some employers may not be familiar with the requirements when hiring an international student. We have prepared an Information for Employers letter that you can provide to prospective employers.

Who’s eligible to apply for a PGWP?

You may be eligible to apply for a PGWP if you want to work after completing your studies in Canada. Please see the eligibility requirements.

To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days
  • Completed a study program in Canada: 
    • At a designated learning institution 
    • That was at least 8 months long; and
    • That led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • Maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program (except your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took a leave from studies)
  • Graduated from a public post-secondary school, which is the case of Red River College Polytechnic.

When to apply for a PGWP?

You must apply within 180 days from the date your confirmation of completion is issued by the College.

How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a PGWP?

Application fee: $100 CAD (open work permit holder fee) + $155 CAD (work permit processing fee) = $255 in total

How long does it take to apply for a PGWP?

To check the processing time on a post-graduation work permit, visit the Immigration and Citizenship website and:

  1. Select “Temporary residence (visiting, studying, working)”
  2. Select “Work permit extension (new employer)”

What Documents do I need to Apply for a PGWP?

Prepare the following supporting documents to include with your application:

  • Photocopies of passport pages clearly showing each of the following:
    • Page with passport number, dates of issue and expiry, name, date of birth
    • Any pages with marks or notations
  • Photocopy of your study permit (must be valid)
  • Your confirmation of completion letter and final academic transcript:
    • A digital copy of the confirmation of completion ($0) will emailed to you approximately 4-8 weeks after your program completion date.
    • Final academic transcript: You can order the official transcript after the graduation audit is complete and a graduation status has been updated. Please note that IRCC will not accept the transcript without graduation status. You can order your official transcript through MyCreds or follow the instructions on our Transcripts page.

How to Apply Online for a PGWP

1. Complete the Graduation Process
Apply for graduation as soon as you complete the program.
To complete the Graduation Application: Visit HUB, select Payments and Profile, Select Graduation Overview.

2. Verify Your Graduation Status
Follow these instructions to verify your graduation status.

3. Create or Login to a MyCIC Account
Create a MyCIC account (see instructions) and create the post-graduate work permit application (see instructions).

4. Answer PGWP Online Questionnaires
Answer Post Graduate Work Permit Online Questionnaire.

5. Generate Document Checklist
The document checklist will be generated after you complete the PGWP online questionnaires. Use this form to upload your application and supporting documents (see a sample of document checklist).

6. Fill out the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker
Visit the Government of Canada website and fill out the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM5710] (see the IMM5710 sample and find out how to download and open a form from IRCC).

TIP: try using Internet Explorer on a Windows desktop at one of RRC Polytech’s computer labs.

7. Upload Documents
Upload photocopies of the required documents.

8. Submit Application
Submit your application.

If you wish to submit a paper application instead of an online application, please contact Red River College Polytechnic’s Immigration Advisor.

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Student and Immigration Advisor. The advisor can review your completed application before you submit it.

All the above information was retrieved from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please visit IRCC’s website for more information regarding study permit extension.


DISCLAIMER: This document was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is not a legal document. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the requirements and procedure may have changed since this document was prepared. Please always refer to Immigration and citizenship website for the most up-to-date information.

“I received a job offer even before graduating from my program at RRC Polytech. Applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit gave me the opportunity to start a career in Canada. Now, I work in my field of graduation (accounting).”

-Erika Falcao, Brazil

Career Services

Students and recent graduates can find support to prepare resumes and cover letters, prepare for job interviews and plan their careers.


Work and Immigration

Find more information and supports for working in and immigrating to Canada.