orange iconOperational Response Level: Restricted ›

Change Designated Learning Institution Number

Every post-secondary institution in Canada has a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number.

If you are changing your DLI – or moving from a post-secondary institution to another one – you must inform Immigration and Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Please have the following information ready before you start the process:

  1. Copy of your current study permit
  2. Red River College Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number: O19305836302. Please note that DLI# begins with the letter “O”.
  3. Letter of acceptance from the previous institute
  4. Letter of acceptance from Red River College


  1. Create/Login to your MyCIC account.
  2. Find/link “Students: Transfer schools” under “Start an application
  3. Enter your application number and click “Search for my application”. You can find your application number from the top right corner of your study permit.
  4. Complete the information that asked on “Tell us about the application” page.
  5. Click on “Search for my application”.
  6. Enter RRC’s DLI number (O19305836302), your Student ID and the RRC start date.
  7. Click on Submit transfer
  8. It’s recommended to take a screenshot of the submission confirmation with the date shown on your computer as there will not be a confirmation email sent out from IRCC.

Frequently Asked Question – DLI

When trying to link the application to the online account, it says there are no matches. What can I do?

The method shown above is the only one way to transfer your DLI number. If you are unable to locate your application, you may try the approaches below. 

1. You must answer the questions exactly as you did on the application form. IRCC can only link the application to your account if the information you provided matches your application.

If you:

  • left a field blank on your application form, leave it blank in the fields below.
  • have updated any information about your application after you first submitted it, enter the most recent information.

2. If you are still experiencing difficulties, please write to IRCC using the IRCC web form and choose Technical difficulties located in the drop-down menu under the heading “Enquiry”. Also, add the following information:

  • All the answers provided while trying to link your application. Once on that page and after entering all your answers, provide us with screenshots.
  • Any error messages. Provide us with screenshots showing the full browser window, including the website address field of the:
    • page preceding the error, and
    • error message.


DISCLAIMER: This document was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is not a legal document. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the information may have changed since this document was prepared. Please always refer to IRCC website for the most up-to-date information, or contact Red River College Immigration and Student Advisor at This document was prepared on July 24, 2018.


Read more about common questions that international students have about work, visa and immigration.


Find more information and supports for working in and immigrating to Canada.