The Intensive English for International Students (IEIS) is the first step toward your academic program.
There are two pathways to meet the language requirements of the academic program you have chosen:
Intensive English for International Students
What’s this program all about?
The Intensive English for International Students (IEIS) is a full-time program designed to develop communicative language skills for those studying, living and working in Canada.
- Gain English-language skills through a variety of educational and cultural exercises.
- Improve your language proficiency.
- When you’ve completed the program, join one of Red River College’s Academic Programs.
Is the Intensive English program for me?
- If you haven’t taken a proficiency test:
- You can apply directly to the IEIS program (and to the academic program of interest at the same time).
- If you have taken the IELTS Academic, TOEFL IBT or CanTest and haven’t achieved the minimum scores required by your academic program:
- You can apply to the IEIS program and use your test scores to estimate the length of your IEIS program.
What will I learn in the Intensive English program?
The Intensive English for International Students (IEIS) program is designed to develop the English language skills of international students.
- Develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Enhance your vocabulary, develop clear pronunciation and improve your grammar.
- Learn the language with advanced technology and online resources.
- Learn to communicate appropriately in the Canadian academic and employment context.
What are the classes like?
Expect approximately 25 hours of class time each week. Classes run Monday to Friday, with three to six hours of classroom time each day; classes may take place between 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Program outcomes will be met through:
- Classroom study
- Cultural events
- Field trips
- Guest speakers
- Online language learning opportunities
Where does the Intensive English program take place?
RRC’s Language Training Centre has developed and delivered English language programs for more than 30 years. The IEIS takes place at the Language Training Centre (LTC), in Winnipeg.
How long is the Intensive English program?
Each term is approximately four months long. You’ll be placed in the level that best fits your proficiency. Each student’s journey is unique, but in general, the levels or terms of study are defined below.
Understanding the different levels in the IEIS
iBT TOEFL below 60 | IELTS Academic below 5.0 | CanTest below 3.0 | CLB 2-4
The Foundations stream provides a strong base for your language learning. You will learn essential skills to bring your English to the next level.
iBT TOEFL 60-70 | IELTS Academic 5.0-5.5 | CanTest 3.0-3.5 | CLB 5-6
The Low Intermediate stream develops English language skills for increased fluency and developing English proficiency. You will develop confidence and strategies to help you in your future academic and career goals.
iBT TOEFL 70-75 | IELTS Academic 5.5-6.0 | CanTest 3.5-4.0 | CLB 6-7
The High Intermediate stream prepares students to apply their language skills in academic contexts. You will practice listening, speaking, reading, and writing through real world academic and employment tasks.
iBT TOEFL 75-90 | IELTS Academic 6.0-6.5 | CanTest 4.0-4.5 | CLB 7-8
You will develop communication skills and strategies to help you succeed in the classroom and workplace. Depending on your chosen academic program, you may be placed in a College Readiness stream specific to your future program*, such as:
- Communication for Business and Finance
- Communication for Health Professions
- Communication for I.T. Professions
- Communication for Technical Professions
- Communication for Culinary Arts
- Communication for Transportation Technology
*streams subject to changes.
How many terms do I need?
The number of terms you will take is based on your level of language proficiency.
- If you haven’t taken an English proficiency test, you will be required to do an assessment when you arrive in Winnipeg. This test will determine the level of Intensive English for International Students program to place you in.
- If you have taken a proficiency test, your scores will provide you with an estimate on how many terms you need.
- Students with IELTS or TOEFL scores may not be required to take a placement assessment.
Placement assessments must be booked before arrival. Please contact RRC’s Language Training Centre at international-LTC@rrc.ca or +1.204.945.6151 (extension 6300).
When will I finish the Intensive English program?
Once you begin the IEIS program, you won’t need to take any language proficiency tests – your instructors will evaluate your proficiency. After you achieve the English language requirements, you’ll be ready for your academic program.
CAD $4,600 per term
* Additional fees not included in the tuition: $730 CAD/year (International Health Insurance), $255 CAD/year (Extended Health and Dental), and $104 CAD/term (Students’ Association fee and Student Services fee). Fees may change without notice.
Late August, January and May
When’s the next intake?
The availability of the Intensive English for international students can be found in our list of programs.
“It’s a great thing that you’re surrounded by people who start off like you. They barely know much English, but they slowly emerge into the culture, the language, the slang and all the fun stuff. It’s a great time. I have great friends, great instructors from there. I can’t ask for more.”
-Andy Pham, Vietnam
“The instructors at the Language Training Centre made my life and class easier. The Intensive English program helped me a lot. We’re all international students, so basically we’re family here helping each other.”
-Sharmaine San Juan, Phillippines