Work While Studying

Many of our full-time international students are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week without a work permit.

Work part-time if you’re a full-time student

Who’s eligible to work while studying?

What are the working conditions?

  • Eligible students can work on- or off-campus
  • Eligible students can work part-time up to 20 hours per week (off-campus)
  • During scheduled breaks in the academic calendar, eligible students are allowed to work full-time
  • You may work for any employer in Canada who is not on the ineligible employer list

You will not be eligible to work during your studies if:

  • You’re enrolled full-time in an English as a Second Language (ESL) program
  • You’re participating in general interest or preparatory courses
  • Your program is less than six months
  • You have a part-time course load

International students who are undertaking any field education (co-op work experience and internship), regardless of length and compensation, must have a valid co-op work permit.

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Student and Immigration Advisor. The advisor can review your completed application before you submit it.

All the above information was retrieved from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please visit IRCC’s website for more information regarding study permit extension.


Please note that Red River College Polytechnic International Education staff are not authorized to provide advice on immigration-related matters. Students are solely responsible for ensuring that they comply with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada, including any medical or study and work permit-related requirements. Students are recommended to consult the IRCC website or consult the IRCC Call Centre at +1.888.242.2100 to confirm or clarify immigration-related information and requirements.

“I was actually working when I was at Red River. I was a full-time student and a part-time worker, so that life is what led me to prioritize things. I have these many hours in a day and I have to crunch in my assignments and go to all my classes. I have to do all of these things and then work as well.”

-Anika Maria, Bangladesh

Study Permits

One of the requirements to work while studying in Canada is to hold a valid Study Permit.

Work and Immigration

Find more information and supports for working in and immigrating to Canada.