orange iconOperational Response Level: Restricted ›

Replace a Temporary Resident Document

You may request to replace your valid temporary resident document if it is lost or stolen.

List of temporary resident documents that can be replaced:

  • Visitor Record
  • Work Permit
  • Study Permit
  • Temporary Resident Permit

How much does it cost to apply for a replacement?

Application fee: $30 CAD

How long does it take to apply for a replacement?

To check the processing time on TRV, click here and:

  1. Select “Replacing or amending documents, verifying status”.
  2. Select “Replacement of valid temporary resident documents”.

What documents do I need to apply for a replacement?

Prepare the following supporting documents to include with your application:

  • Photocopy of passport pages needs to show:
    • Page with passport number, dates of issue and expiry, name, date of birth
    • Any marked page, including stamps and visas from either Canada or other countries.
  • Photocopy of one piece of federal or provincial/territorial government-issued identification with or without photo.
  • Photocopy of your lost/stolen temporary resident document if it is possible.
  • Police report number.
  • A copy of payment receipt.

How to apply for a replacement? (Online application is not available)

  1. File a police report on your lost/stolen document at police station – List of police stations in Winnipeg
  2. Complete the Application Form, print, and signed – Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document (IMM5009)
  3. Gather Supporting Documents.
  4. Make the payment of $30 here.
  5. Submit the completed application package by mail to below location:
Canada Post Private Courier
Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document
Operations Support Centre (OSC)
P.O. Box 8784 STN T CSC
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 5J3
Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document
Operations Support Centre (OSC)
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Student and Immigration Advisor. The advisor can review your completed application before you submit it. All the above information was retrieved from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please visit IRCC’s website for more detail regarding Application for a Replacement of an Immigration Document.

DISCLAIMER: This document was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is not a legal document. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the information may have changed since this document was prepared. Please always refer to IRCC website for the most up-to-date information, or contact Red River College Immigration and Student Advisor at This document was prepared on February 26, 2021.

To cross Canadian borders as a foreigner, you must have a Temporary Resident Visa.


Find more information and supports for working in and immigrating to Canada.