Study Permit

The study permit is a paper document issued at your port of entry in Canada (Canadian border or airport). As an international student, you must study with a valid study permit if your program is longer than six months.

Who’s eligible to apply for a Study Permit?

Study permits can be issued to international students who receive an official letter of acceptance at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada. Red River College Polytechnic is a Designated Learning Institution, and RRC Polytech’s DLI number is O19305836302 (please note that DLI# begins with the letter “O”).

See other eligibility criteria here.

When to apply for a Study Permit?

You should apply for a study permit as soon as you receive a letter of acceptance issued by Red River College Polytechnic. Make sure you meet all eligibility criteria and have the necessary documentation to avoid delays or refusal of your application.

How Much Does it Cost to Apply for a Study Permit?

Application fee: $150 CAD

How long does it take for a Study Permit to be processed?

To check the processing time on your study permit, click here and:

  1. Select “Temporary residence (visiting, studying, working)”
  2. Select “Study permit”

Notice that upon approval of your study permit application, you will receive a Letter of Introduction and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), but you won’t receive your study permit. Your study permit will only be issued when you arrive in Canada at your port of entry (airport or land crossing into Canada). See the following section to understand the process.

How to apply for a Study Permit?

1. Get a Letter of Acceptance from RRC Polytech

Apply to study in an RRC Polytech program. If accepted, you’ll be issued a letter of acceptance. With that letter, you can apply for a study permit.

2. Apply for a Study Permit 

Visit the IRCC website and follow the steps to apply for a study permit. Depending on your country of citizenship, the application rules might change. We encourage you to apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance because processing times vary. If you need a Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization to enter Canada, that application will be processed together automatically with the application of your study permit.

3. Get a Letter of Introduction from the IRCC 

Upon approval of your application, the IRCC will issue a letter of introduction (along with an eTA or a TRV). That letter will provide you with an official document to prove that your study permit has been preapproved. Your letter of introduction IS NOT a study permit. The study permit will only be issued at your port of entry (the first airport or land crossing that you stop at in Canada).

4. Come to Canada (Port of Entry)

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll be asked for some important documents at your port of entry. At this time, you have to present:

  • Valid passport
  • Letter of introduction (issued by IRCC)
  • Letter of acceptance (issued by Red River College Polytechnic)
  • Valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), depending on your country of citizenship
  • Other documents as recommended by the Visa Office

5. Get your Study Permit

At your port of entry, upon successful acceptance of your documentation, the immigration officer will issue you a study permit. If there is a co-op component in your academic program, the immigration officer may also issue the co-op work permit at the same time.

What’s Next?

Below are tips from the Government of Canada website.

As an international student with a study permit you must:

  • Always be enrolled at a DLI
  • Make progress toward completing your program
  • Respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • Stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements
  • Leave Canada when your permit expires

Based on your application, your study permit may include one or more of the following conditions:

  • The level of studies you can attend
  • If you are allowed to work in Canada
  • If you need to report for medical procedures
  • The date you must stop studying


Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Student and Immigration Advisor. The advisor can review your completed application before you submit it.

All the above information was retrieved from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please visit IRCC’s website for more information regarding study permit extension.


DISCLAIMER: This document was prepared by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This is not a legal document. Immigration laws and procedures change frequently, and so the information may have changed since this document was prepared. Please always refer to IRCC website for the most up-to-date information, or contact Red River College Polytechnic Immigration and Student Advisor at This document was prepared on August 14, 2018.

This is one of the steps that international students need to take in order to study at RRC Polytech. Check out all steps required before and after applying for a study permit.


Find more information and supports for working in and immigrating to Canada.