Learning in a New Culture
As you pursue your goals through your program, we hope that you will find the opportunity to build great relationships and memorable experiences and that you will not only learn but also contribute your unique perspectives and skills to our community. We look forward to supporting, sharing and learning together with you at Red River College.
Get Ready for Success!
Learn about cultural diversity in preparation for your intercultural learning experience at Red River College. This will help you improve your college experience and set you up for success in your classes and career.
Through these videos, you may become more aware of the cultural diversity around you and how your unique cultural background shapes how you see and experience the world. We will explore examples and strategies of how to communicate, live and work in diverse environments. We will also discuss the journey of integration, becoming a contributing and active member of a new community.
How to Use this Page
Complete the following steps:
- Read this page.
- Download supporting materials (Reflection Worksheet + Personal Action Plan)
- Watch all the linked videos.
- Complete and save the Reflection Worksheet with your comments, personal reflections and questions.
- Create your Personal Action Plan.
- Complete the completion survey online. (You will attach your completed worksheet and Personal Action Plan as part of the survey.)
You will need:
- Access to a computer connected to high-speed internet (to watch videos online).
- Microsoft Word (optional): You can complete the Personal Action Plan activity in Microsoft Word. If you do not have Microsoft Word, you can print the file, complete it by hand and submit a scanned copy.
Please watch and think about each of the videos and complete the reflection worksheet questions. You will also be provided with a Personal Action Plan template which you can complete as you go through the orientation materials.
Let’s get started!
PART 1 - Things are different here
PART 2 – Developing Cultural Awareness
PART 3 – Communicating Across Cultures
PART 4 – Contributing to Your New Community
Completing This Orientation
- Fill out the Cultural Orientation completion survey.
- You will be prompted to upload your completed reflection worksheet as part of the survey.
Advising with your International Student Support Team
If you have questions, please contact us! We are happy to connect you to support services and offer encouragement and resources to help you succeed.
If you would like to request an appointment to meet with your International Student Support Staff at your campus after you arrive in Winnipeg, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Cultural Orientation was developed on behalf of Red River College, by Norlan Page (Student Integration Coordinator) and Bradley West, CHRP, CCP (Diversity Initiatives Coordinator) in the Diversity and Intercultural Services department, with guidance and support from Nora Sobel, B.A. M.Ed. (A/Manager). Videos were produced by eTV Learning Technologies. This pre-program Cultural Orientation was developed for Red River College by Norlan Page.