Celebrate Virtual Indigenous Celebration at Home
Please read the following post from the School of Indigenous Education, and if you are interested in attending, follow the links below:
Our annual Indigenous student celebration is moving online! We are excited to create a virtual place that makes our students feel special, honours their achievements, and holds space for Indigenous culture and teachings. Join us Friday, June 5 for a Facebook live stream featuring some special performances on the Indigenous Education Facebook page.
Although we can’t all be together, we can find ways to celebrate and mark this special occasion. If you’d like to host your own Celebration at home, we’ve included some ways that can add to your celebrations – online and offline.
- Hey Instagram users: we have a new sticker for you to bring the Virtual Indigenous Celebration to your stories. Search “RRC” in stickers when posting to your stories, and you will see our Virtual Indigenous Celebration sticker. We love that this sticker has a heart/drum beat and a nod to the medicine wheel! Tag @redrivercollege in your stories in this Friday so we can share and bring our Celebration onto Instagram. To Indigenous students who registered: we would love to see you wearing your RRC Indigenous stole when you receive it in the mail.
- A part of Pow Wow that we will miss this year is seeing students represent their heritage and community with what they wear. Wellness Advisor Donna Glover works with students to create their own regalia, but now she has shown us how to sew our own ribbon skirts in this new video series on our Facebook page.
- Make your own bannock with Corey Whitford, Indigenous Language Instructor.
- Learn How to Make Cedar Tea.
- Download these colouring sheets by Anishinabee artist Jackie Traverse and create some art!
- Miss visiting our Indigenous spaces at the College? Take yourself on a 360 tour of the Medicine Wheel Garden and Notre Dame Indigenous Support Centre.
- Update your Facebook picture picture with our new profile picture frame.
Registration is now closed to be included in the Virtual Indigenous Celebration, but students can still register to receive a mailed gift by visiting rrc.ca/indigenous/virtual-celebration until June 19.
RRC Virtual Indigenous Celebration
Friday, June 5, 2020 | 12:00 pm
Red River College – Indigenous Education Facebook Page