Technology Exploration Camps (TEC) are an innovative program that offer hands-on technology activities and demonstrations for girls and boys entering Grade 6 or 7 in fall. The camps are designed to give middle school students a real taste of various engineering technology-related disciplines.
The TEC experience is an excellent way for young people to obtain valuable future career information, while discovering new and exciting ways to apply their science and mathematics skills. Participants enjoy seamless learning in a safe and entertaining atmosphere.
We’re working to strengthen the perception that girls can succeed in math and science-related disciplines as well as boys. TEC employs both female and male instructors to act as positive role models and to demonstrate that technology careers are not gender exclusive.
The Technology Exploration Camps aim to:
- Provide fun, hands-on technology-based activities and educational demonstrations
- Offer seamless learning in a safe and entertaining atmosphere
- Have positive female role models for young women and men
- Use curriculum-based content in engineering technology-related disciplines
Each week of the Technology Exploration Camp offers the same activities and allows the opportunity to explore three different disciplines: civil, electrical and mechanical engineering. Activities include:
- Building a working model of a medieval catapult and learning about mechanical engineering
- Building a hydraulic lifter
- Building your own bridge, loading it up and learning about structural engineering
- Building a town model and learning about municipal engineering
- Having fun with static electricity
- Experimenting with electricity and magnetism
- Learning electrical theory and safety
- Learning to read schematics and building circuits
- Building and programming a robot
Camp Dates, Times and Cost
Week: July 8-12, 2019 (Co-ed) – FULL!
Times: 9:00am to 3:30pm
Location: Red River College, 2055 Notre Dame Avenue, Winnipeg
Cost: $236 plus GST
Accommodations / Transportation
This is a day camp only and Red River College does not supply accommodations or transportation for campers. All accommodations in Winnipeg as well as transportation to and from the camp daily is the responsibility of the camper and her parent/guardian.
For more information on the camp, please call 204-949-8442 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.