The holiday season often brings with it increased demands on our time and activity. We can experience more demands and higher expectations which may result in more stress in our lives. The holiday season also brings with it colder temperatures which can cause sickness. Finding balance can be difficult with holiday events that are out of the ordinary, finding the perfect gifts, preparing the perfect meal or hosting a gathering.
Everyone has a different way of managing the busy holiday season. Here are some tips that might help you manage your holiday schedule and stay healthy this holiday season:
- Make time for exercise even if you can’t fit a whole workout in. Do half of your workout, walk home from work, or do small exercises at home.
- Stay hydrated to avoid mistaking dehydration for hunger.
- Don’t go to holiday events hungry. Eat a healthy snack before you attend an event, eat slowly and try not to stand near the snacks.
- If you decide to indulge, it’s okay to treat yourself, just be aware of portion sizes. 
- Be sure your expectations for the holidays are realistic. Set a budget and share responsibilities with family members if you have too much on your plate.
- Focus on everything that can go well instead of everything that might go wrong.
- Schedule time for yourself and remember to take a break when you need one.
- Enjoy the holidays and take time to reflect on the good things in your life.
Your Employee and Family Assistance Plan (EFAP) through LifeWorks also has plenty of resources to assist you with managing holiday stress. Visit the LifeWorks website to view some helpful articles.
Travel Health Insurance
HUB International STRATA Benefits Consulting partnered with insurance broker Medi-Quote Insurance Brokers Inc. to offer many competitive travel insurance options.
- Annual Plans
- Single Trip Plans
- Trip Cancellation, Interruption and Baggage Loss Insurance coverage
- Top-Up Days for travel of up to any duration available
- Full coverage for Existing Medical Conditions
- Family Rates, Travel within Canada, and Traveling Companion Discounts
- Deductible Options
- Super Visa Insurance for family members coming to Canada for extended or multiple trips
This program is 100% voluntary for any Employee requiring additional coverage, leaving the Group Plan, or in need of coverage for a family member. Log on to your STRATA Select website for more information and instructions on how to request a quote.
Login: rrc Password: voluntary
The LifeWorks website contains useful tools and articles to help you and your family. You even have access to seminars at www.lifeworks.com.
If you’re a family caregiver, you may be struggling to balance the demands of your many roles. This month, LifeWorks will feature their resources on how to handle the demands and stresses of caregiving. Check out these resources:
- Podcast – Tips for the Sandwich Generation
 Irene Ogrodnik. November 25, 2014. “How to stay fit and healthy during the holidays”. Global News. http://globalnews.ca/news/1690984/how-to-stay-fit-and-healthy-during-the-holidays/