The College’s fourth annual Chili Cup has come and gone, with two rookies from the Athletics and Recreation department (Shane Ray and Cole Skinner) taking the top prize for their “Ring of Fire” chili.
This marks the second time that a Rebels team has won the Cup, as that competitive spirit (honed on the courts) has apparently been translated into the culinary martial arts octagon.
Also making the podium were the Mamasitas, who took second place in the People’s Choice voting for their “Not Your Mama’s Chili”. The Mamasitas were also selected by the President’s Choice committee for their team spirit (and for bringing along some TP to the event).
Rounding out the winners were members of the RRC Students’ Association, with their SA’WEET N’ SA’PICY” Chili. They bravely represented the student body, but came up just shy of top place.
The event raised $264 for the RRCSA Food Bank, which provides services to RRC students in need.
Next up is the Chili Day in March (Thursday, March 20), where the winning chili will be served up at the Voyageur Cafeteria (NDC). Chili and a bun can be had for $3.95 and there will be drop off bin for the RRCSA Food Bank on site – so please bring a tin for the bin. The Food Bank typically helps about 120 students and their families from the NDC and EDC campuses every two weeks.
Although there were several prizes handed out at last week’s event, everyone walked away a winner. Special thanks go to…
- The RRC Wellness Committee for hosting the event. This includes Bev Smith, Cristy Kubara, Heather Temple, Jason McMaster, Jeff Gill, Laureen Janzen, Leslie Ternowetsky, Mike Krywy, Shane Ray and Sue Hayduk. The Wellness Committee is a subcommittee for the College’s People Plan.
- To all the chefs who came out and cooked up a batch – including:
- Tammy Kowerko and Audrey Jillette (Library)
- Mamma (Cristina Gomes) and mamasitas : Katalin Martin (Laverne), Michelle Finch (Lavergne), Christine Buchanan (Leivurn), Rosario Vargas (Layvern) from Accounts Receivables and Projects
- Norlan Page and Gabriela Ludusan (Diversity and Immigrant Student Supports)
- Leslie Ternowetsky (HR), Sue Hayduk (Sustainability) and Lindsay Mullholland (Corporate Legal)
- Laureen Janzen, Lindsay Storey-Iliffe, Jennifer Gaulin, Andrea Johnston, Chad Smith (Counseling and Accessibility Services)
- Shane Ray and Cole Skinner (Athletics and Recreation Services)
- Mike Krywy (Research and Planning)
- The SA’ll Good crew from the RRCSA – Matt Meijer, Carla Giesbrecht-Wat, and Christa Gobin.
- Janice Manson, Del Pannu, Food Services, and Campus Services for assisting with event logistics.
- The President’s Choice Committee – Stephanie Forsyth (RRC President), Christine Crowe (VP Community Development), Nancy Alexander (VP Human Resource Services and Sustainability) and Keith Muller (Dean School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts).
- And finally, to all those who came out to the event to make it a fantastically good time.